Midi Keyboard Advice (Nektar or M-Audio?)

Andriko

Hi all,

I am interested in adding a MIDI keyboard to complete my set up - I am using a Behringer 404hd Audio Interface, and will most likely be getting Reaper as my DAW, and would like a keyboard to make adding in simulated instruments easier (I assume I can set the instrument simulator I want, and then play it/ program it with the keyboard? - as my post generally show, I am clueless with PC music recording).

I want something fairly compact and inexpensive - I am not a piano player, so I don't need one that has great 'action' - just one that lets me conveniently score and compose music etc.

The options I have got are:

Nektar Impact GX 49 (or 61, if it's not too huge)
- Is the Nektar Impact LX49+ worth the extra money?

M-Audio Oxygen 49 Mk4

I am leaning towards the Impact, but want to make sure it is easy to hook up to Reaper (does it need to go through the audio interface?) - and is the LX model a big enough improvement in functionality to justify the extra cost? It's not a big price increase from the GX61, so if it's worth it I figure I'd rather get something with a few more options.

Thanks for the help,

A

I'm a keyboard player so I'm jaded..

Kind of see M-audio as a lower level keyboard... Nektar is more "botique" ...They are all being made in China these days...Cept for things like Nord

For just a midi triggering keyboard you can get any inexpensive yamaha or Casio with a midi out port and you'll be fine..

A step up would be the Novation series ...I like their stuff and they have em with the pads so you can trigger drums along with keys and all that...

I have owned a ton of midi keyboards and some are longer lasting than others...you can pay a ton of money and still have issues e.g. I own a MODX8 that had issues and had to go into the shop for "loose connections" within 6 months... I do own a novation 63 key that is a fun little controller to jam on and has held up well...

Thanks for the reply -

The Novation ones seem a little pricey for what I am after - though the drum pads seem useful, though presumabley I could make a drum track with just the keys?

Do you have an idea which casio/yamaha ones I should look at, and would they have good compatibility with Reaper?

And when you say anything with a midi out port - the ones I have seen have USB outs - and I am not sure if I will need to plug straight into the audio interface or directly into the PC.

Thanks again!

A

Back