Midi help with keyboard and rack unit!

sajs

I have a Korg Pa1xPro keyboard and just purchased a Roland XR rack. When I hook the midi out of my keyboard to the midi in of the Roland, I don't get any sounds out of the Roland Rack.
When I hook the Roland up to my computer via midi and play a midi song on the computer, I get the Roland to play.
What am I doing wrong? Thank you.

First of all, find the global page on the Korg and set the 'local on/off' to 'off'. This will break the connection between the keyboard and the sounds inside.

Next, find and set the main midi channel inside the Roland to something other than 'omni' or channel 1.

Now connect the midi out of the Korg to the midi in of the computer.

Then connect the midi out of the computer to the midi in of the Korg.

Last, connect a third midi cable from the midi thru of the Korg to the midi in of the Roland.

Don't forget to connect at least one audio out from both devices to your mixer or interface.

Thank you I will try that. What if I do not want to use the computer, can't I just use the Korg?

Leave out the step in which you turn the local control off in the Korg's global page, then plug a midi cable from the Korg midi out to the Roland midi in.

The only thing left for you to do is to break down and read the manuals.

Or pay a visit to tweakheads.com --- LINK --- where they've updated their midi basics pages so they don't contain any more confusing errors or outright wrong information.

Or maybe do both!

Using a M-Audio UNO midi device I hooked up the Korg's midi out to my computer. I opened a program called MIDIOX.

Right on the screen I could see that when I played the Korg the Channel 1 lights lite up. So that means the Korg is outputting midi data over Channel 1.

Just for laughs I took the other end of the midi cable (midi in) and plugged it into the Roland XR. Now when I play the Korg the Roland unit works.
I get sound and the midi light on the Roland's front panel flashes.

So can someone tell me why I need to go through my computer as opposed to just plugging a midi cable from the out of the Korg to the in of the Roland? Thank you.

Back