Which MIDI controller/keyboard?

drathbun

I'm going to purchase a MIDI controller / keyboard and I have my eye on a couple of Edirol models. I've been using a 300lb (j/k) 15 year old Yamaha PF2000 88 key keyboard that I'm happy to get out of my space (I'll play it in the other room when I want to tinkle a bit - I'm not a keyboard player really).

So I'm looking for a very small footprint MIDI controller for my desk. I'm unsure of the pros and cons of some of the features between:

Edirol PCR-M1

and

Edirol PCR-1

The PCR-M1 has an optional AC adapter so the unit doesn't draw power from the USB port. I think this may be a feature I need with all the USB stuff I have hanging out of my notebook (Flash Drive, M-Audio Audiophile, optical mouse, media reader, dongle for a graphics program). But the M1 lacks the audio output of the PCR-1. Edirol says the M1 replaces the audio output with a bunch of MIDI features that make it more comparible to the larger PCR units like the PCR-50 and PCR-80. Is that worth the tradeoff?

I'm a relative newcomer to MIDI so I'm unsure of the difference in the MIDI features of each unit. For my own recording, I just need to create background pads, synth strings and simple drum patterns.

However, I am embarking on a research project looking at linking lighting controllers to digital audio playback for theatrical performances (I'm a theatre professor). I'm working on a project over the next year to link automated moving light consoles (Strand 520i) to a Yamaha DM2000 digital mixer with Tascam Minidiscs and/or hard disk playback. The lighting consoles can be triggered from the mixer with MIDI and/or SMPTE time code and vica-versa. I have a WYSIWYG (stage lighting realization software) front end on the lighting consoles and would like to see how Sonar can help in the editing of the event handling.

Perhaps this is too much information. I would appreciate any sage advice about the advantages or disadvantage of these two models in any event. Thanks!

drathbun said:
I'm a relative newcomer to MIDI so I'm unsure of the difference in the MIDI features of each unit. For my own recording, I just need to create background pads, synth strings and simple drum patterns.
Go with the PCR-M1. You will probably find uses for the more advanced MIDI features as you progress with your research project. You already have the M-Audio Audiophile to get digital audio into and out of your computer.

And don't fail to search the internet for similar projects on similar topics. MIDI control for stage lighting has been something I have come in contact with more and more over the last few years --- maybe there's someone out there who has done most of the groundwork and laid a foundation on which you'll be able to build.

Thanks for the suggestions. I've ordered the PCR-M1. And thanks for the advice on not reinventing the wheel. I will be researching what is being done already, and I have a lot of colleagues in the industry who are experimenting with these technologies as well. Should be interesting! :)

Back