MIDI controller connection to synth module

I use a M-Audio Oxygen 61 hooked up to a Roland Fantom XR rack. I am not sure why your system is not working. You should make sure that your midi cable is O.K., they do go bad. When you hit a key on your Axiom, does the midi light on your Roland flash?

One thing you can do to make sure your keyboard is outputting data is to download the midi utility Midi Ox. http://www.midiox.com/

By hooking your keyboard up to your computer and opening up Midi Ox, you will be able to see on the screen whether or not your Axiom is sending data.

In Performance mode the Roland should receive on all midi channels unless it has been disabled (not the default). Of course unless you send patch change info, you'll get whatever patch that performance program has set for the channel you're sending on.

In Patch mode it'll receive on only the channel you have it set to. Should be 1 by default, but this can be turned off. Your controller (set to the correct channel) will play whatever patch you have selected. Sending program info will change the patch.

In Rhythm mode, sending on channel 10 will trigger the drum patch you have selected.

I scan for patches I want in Patch mode and use Performance mode to play back from my software sequencer using a different channel for each sound. The software sends the program info, so which program I use in Performance mode is irrelevant.

There should also be a General MIDI mode that'll make it respond on all channels to GM program info and music data. I use this for my notation software, Sibelius.

Is it possible to take a multi layer program with 6 layers,each layer on a different midi channel,(I can set the program up on my XV3080)..Then assign a different midi channel to the first 6 sliders,that way I can have a piano patch if I need it on one,then have a guitar patch ready if i need it on another,or combine all 6 patches at once....I have a Yamaha S30 in my studio,it has 4 sliders that can be assigned also and this is what I want to do when I go on a gig.

Thanks in advance for any help.

New to midi controllers -- I Need help ASAP!!!!

Hello, My question is along the same line. I want to use my mpc pad w/ pro tools. But I can't seem to get any sound from it. I think all I need is a quick lesson on sending and receiving the single. I learn pretty quick so if there are any downloadable instructions or if someone can email me @ cyril.murray@hotmail.com, would be much appreciated.

Hi Guttah, Pro tools has all the info you need regarding setting up midi instruments in the included help. There are too many things which might be going wrong here. I'm guessing you're using the MPD24 or something similar with a built in MIDI/USB adapter.

Back