Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Low volume of midi signal

Thanks

Low volume of midi signal

Sign in to disable this ad
    I've just started trying to record some midi tracks. Up till now I have been recording my electric and acoustic guitars with some nice results. So now I've borrowed a midi keyboard and am trying to record some piano/synth and bass tracks for the first time
    I use Ableton Live 6.
    My midi keyboard controller is a Roland ED PC-180A. I have this plugged in to my USB audio capture device via a midi cable. The capture device is an Edirol UA-4fx and I have that set to record midi source.
    The problem is that I can only get the midi input to about 25% of max. volume it needs to be. I've turned all the volume knobs in Live 6 up to max. My midi tracks are incredibly quiet.
    Have I missed something. Do I need a signal booster/pre-amp? I would have thought that if my USB audio capture device was getting loud enough inputs from my guitars, I wouldn't need a pre-amp. Apologies, very noob to midi.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Cheers.

Thanks
    MIDI data doesn't actually carry sound, it carries note and velocity information among other things. These messages are interpreted (in this case) by your soft synth in ableton which synthesizes the actual notes.

Sorry to patronize you if you already knew that, it's just that your question was lacking in clarity. Do you mean the midi velocity is too low, or the sound from the synth is too low?

Try this: http://www.tweakheadz.com/how_to_get...with_midi.html for more info on midi.

Hope this helps!

Thanks

Boosting sound via synth via mic pre to recorder

Yo Clark:

Just figured out a new slant this day about "volume/Synths."

My Synth has been playing right through the Synth using it "own" volume bar/slider. Since I have a two mic pres, I gave it a try and see if some of my "lower sound" patches would boost some sound. IT DOES when plugged into the synth to the mic pre patch to the recorder.

If you need the MIDI help, you would need help from the midi parts which is something else.

Really cool to find how brilliant the synth pipes through into my recorder.

Merry Xmas
    Green Hornet
    [COLOR=Lime]THE GREEN HORNET[/COLOR]

Thanks
    @Lumstar
    Thanks for the fast response.
    I kind of knew that midi is off/on and that's why I'm surprised that playing notes on the keyboard comes through Live 6 as quiet. I just expected that normal key pressing action would give me green..touching red in the level indicators.

If I hit a key really hard, the level indicators in Live 6 get to about 40% (all green and a bit quiet). If I hit a key just normally the level indicator in Live 6 hits about a quarter of the way up (all green and very faint to hear the notes I'm pressing).

Wait a minute, playing a bit more with it I've been able to get the indicator lights closer to the red. Its just I'm unfamiliar with the synth knobs. I think I'll get there though.

Any pointers in the way of tutorials to lay down some midi tracks?

Thanks
    Yo Clark:

Go to GOOGLE and look a few sites down from the top to a BLOG that has some good info.

As well, you might check out any other good places for MIDI 101 blog stuff.

Cheers,
    Green Hornet

Thanks
    Thanks Greenhornet, I'm getting there now. I just laid down a simple bass line for Tears in Heaven and I can't even play a keyboard, so I'm very pleased with myself )
    Sounds nice too

Thanks
    Sorry Double Post
    Last edited by nativedan; 12-10-2008 at 16:27.

Thanks
    Hi,

I'm new to midi also, and getting the same problem. The midi tracks are really quiet, even when cranked up to max and all the velocities are at max. Even when I crank up the master output of Cubase, its still quiet and the level only gets up about 30 percent of the master volume range.

I think when I started using it, it was louder though, and at some point, maybe after i started recording audio, it all suddenly went much quieter in comparison to the audio.

I'm using a Novation X-Station and Cubase SX.

Oh and for some reason the recorded Midi tracks wont Pan. like I move the
    slider left and right but the midi just stays in place??

Can anyone help?
    Thanks

Newcomer

Thanks
    Once again Dan:

Try going to Google and check out the first batch of sites. Lots of info available.

Good luck.

Green Hornet
    Last edited by The Green Hornet; 12-11-2008 at 08:35.

Thanks
    Hi I hope you're getting the answers you need! I had one for you, you say you're using the UA-4FX, is it a good interface for guitar/vocals? Can you record both vocal and guitar at the same time with it? ie: two mic inputs one guitar the other the xlr mic input both plugged in at the same time? Thanks!

Thread Information