Looking for a entry level synth with lots of knobs and buttons

rothy

I am looking for an entry level analog modeling synth. So far I have looked at the MicroKorg, Alesis Micron, Alesis Ion, SH-201, MS2000B and recently the Korg Electribe EMX-1 and Electribe A mkII...

Here is what I want - lots of knobs and buttons - the micron did not sit right with me and a price that is closer to $400 than $800.

Here are my questions:

-Am I overlooking any obvious choices?
-Can I plug a small midi controller into an Electribe to avoid using the onboard pads and then take the 1/4" outs of the Electribe into my recording setup?

Help is appreciated...

I seen a demo of the sh201 pretty cool....I think this is basically what you are looking for....at this price range...some good choices.
Roland sh201
korg ms2000b
roland jp8000
I dont think the micro korg,ion,and micron are what you are looking for....The sh201 looks pretty interesting....and you can plug your new sh201 up to your electribe and play the sounds and also use your keyboards knobs to tweak the sounds..

I got an MS2000b if you want it , absolutely mint and has all the original packing material. shoot me a pm if you are interested, its only a few months old but i'll have my radias next month so it will be surplus to requirements :D

First purchase : beware

Just a quick caution to ya, since this is your first time buying:

Beware how many voices your machine has, because too few will hamper you in no small way.

the SH201 has 4 voices
the JP8000 has 8 voices
the Micro Korg has 10 voices
and the Korg MS2000b has only 4 voices.

IF you do not know what this means, here's the scoop:

IN extremely simple terms, each voice might be the equivalent of a note that you can hold down simulataneouly along with other notes.

Think "Organ" playing.

So, if you want to play a chord with 3 notes in the Right hand, and an Octave of 2 notes in the Left, the synth will be unable to play all 5 notes (voices) at the same time, if you only have 4 voices in the machine.

The synth will have a default program setting such that one of the notes (determined by program) will not play.

To further illustrate the limitation, if you decide you want a sound that uses 2 different tambres at the same time (say a percussive Click, and a droning Pad), well now you are using 2 voices per note. If you only have 4 voices total... you will only be able to play 2 notes on the keyboard at the same time.

Again, this may be okay with you, but you should at least understand.

The newest Moog Voyager is a monophonic synth, only able to play one note at a time, but artists who buy this synth, know exactly what they wish to do with it. Playing awesome leads, and doing wonderful modulation on a single created sound, is usually what they are going after.

Just to complicate matters a smidgeon more ... the manufacturer's synth will have either 1, 2, or 3 (usually) oscillators per voice. This means, that each voice is able to be made up with additional motion sound, i.e. one oscillator is using a Sawtooth wave and the other osciallator may be a Square wave, and yet even, maybe a 3rd Oscillator is another type of wave. All these Oscillators work in tandem to produce a single Voice.

Pianists are the first people to start complaining about the number of voices a synth has, due to their normal playing style. A pianist is not unaccustomed to playing as many as 7 or even 8 notes at the same time. If the sustain pedal of a synth is used while playing (this means that voices are continuing to play even after the notes have been released on board), the machine can quickly run out of voices left to be used for new notes.

Just understand this.

^^^^^^ well put.Even though some analog,and va are limited,they can still be used as a midi controler.For example todd skins mentioned the moog voyager having only one voice,a mono synth wich only one note can be struck at a time...awesome for bass,and leads.I had a voyager and used it as my midi controller..to play the sounds off my motif rack.So when playing the sounds of a motif or another sound module..you arent limited by the midi controlers voices..so I could play chords etc using my moog voyager to play sounds of motif ....hope Im making sense.

altitude909 said:
Are you kidding me? i hope thats not all you were using it for..
hell naw..hahah..I was just trying to clarify...so some may understand that....the moog voyager..im gonna probably get another one....the upgrade they have has like 700 more sounds designed by herbie hancock,fredwreck,etc...

50cal said:
^^^^^^ well put.Even though some analog,and va are limited,they can still be used as a midi controler.For example todd skins mentioned the moog voyager having only one voice,a mono synth wich only one note can be struck at a time...awesome for bass,and leads.I had a voyager and used it as my midi controller..to play the sounds off my motif rack.So when playing the sounds of a motif or another sound module..you arent limited by the midi controlers voices..so I could play chords etc using my moog voyager to play sounds of motif ....hope Im making sense.
Simply put the moog is a monophonic lead instrument, But transmits a ployphonic midi signal.

to answer your other question... yes youcan plug a midi controller into the electribe synth and record its' output. i have a korg ms2000b and an electribe esx-1 (sampler)... both have plenty of knobs and are superb for "hands on" functionality. but as others have stated the ms2000b only has 4 voice polyphony... not sure about the electribe (though my sampler is monophonic)

Back