Korg Triton..

Tifstorey

Guinea Pig
Hi,

Im wanting to get a nice new keyboard for Uni. I was looking at the Triton, but before i ordered it, just wanting to ask if anyones got one? How good is it? etc etc.

Cheers,

Peace

I got an LE...

It depends on what kind of sounds your looking for electronic, hiphop, house & other genres of that nature it's good for.

If your looking for really good piano sounds or guitars look elsewhere.

Good Luck
Will

I do alot of ambient electronic sounds, but i dont play live or anything. I use alot of MIDI so, sounds arent the most important thing here. I want a good quality keyboard which will play nice, and that will get me through Uni.

As far as quality build it is good I would say my 2 year old has knocked it over a couple of times (I got mad but I can't kill the boy) and it still works like a champ.

The MIDI works great as far as I'm concerned I run mine through a MPC 1000.

I'm not sure what a Uni is, but if it's some sort of MIDI Device your trying to sync to I'm guessing it would work.

Hope that Helps :)

Will

bigwillz24 said:
I'm not sure what a Uni is, but if it's some sort of MIDI Device your trying to sync to I'm guessing it would work.Will

Uni = University. Im going in September, and unfortunately cant take my piano with me! So thats why i need something like this to keep me plonking away on some keys.

Thanks for the help man, much appreciated.

:) just so you know, 'uni' is an abbreviation of 'university' :p

its a british thing :D :p

i presume that's what he meant anyway...

Andy

Get an older Kurzweil K2000 or K2500. Those appeal more to your standard piano, strings, organ type sounds than the Triton. The Triton is filled with lame trance and rap presets.

The Triton can be filled with any sound you want. You cannot categorize it. It is a sample player. The Kurzweils are great, but they are not in the same league as a Triton. Depending on which model you get, the abilities of the keyboard are enormous.

I had a studio 88 but sold it to go completely computer software based. I wish I hadn't.

MXStudios said:
The Triton can be filled with any sound you want. You cannot categorize it. It is a sample player. The Kurzweils are great, but they are not in the same league as a Triton. Depending on which model you get, the abilities of the keyboard are enormous.

I had a studio 88 but sold it to go completely computer software based. I wish I hadn't.

Excuse me?????

I have both a Triton and a Kurzweil k2600 and imho, the triton is not in the same league as my Kurz.

But that's my opionion, and what you stated as fact is merely YOUR opinion.

I have an LE...I like it very much. I'll use it sometimes as my outbaord MIDI synth and/or controller. It's a very flexible machine. No equipment malfunctions or issues ever in the last 2+ years. Happy camper here.

I have a triton studio, and I love it. The sounds are great, and it can be greatly expanded upon with expansion boards and MOSS soundboard if you really want to crank it up. The Extreme is pretty interesting too...you might want to check it out while you're looking.

I am so happy I went with Kurzweil instead of the Triton. Though I wouldn't mind some of its features--it does stuff as a synth I can't do with my current setup.

fraserhutch said:
Excuse me?????

I have both a Triton and a Kurzweil k2600 and imho, the triton is not in the same league as my Kurz.

But that's my opionion, and what you stated as fact is merely YOUR opinion.
We all have our opinions. I did not mean to express it as fact. Which Triton do you have? Do you have the expansion modules? What I was saying was that it could not be classified as a " electronic, hiphop, house & other genres of that nature " as BIGWILLZ said in an earlier post, And "The Triton is filled with lame trance and rap presets." that was in an earlier post by Cloneboy.

With the expansion boards and some great sounds it can be used for anything.

Good point...the Triton LE in it's factory form does have a bunch of club/synth stuff in it but does have a nice collection of viable instruments. My first add on though was the "Classic Keyboards"...I later sprung for the Orchestral Collection. With the sampler module, this thing surpasses anything I've played around on to date. I just wish the LE had weighted keys. I was raised on a proper piano.

You're going to do have to do your homework and find what suits your needs best.

MXStudios said:
We all have our opinions. I did not mean to express it as fact. Which Triton do you have? Do you have the expansion modules? What I was saying was that it could not be classified as a " electronic, hiphop, house & other genres of that nature " as BIGWILLZ said in an earlier post, And "The Triton is filled with lame trance and rap presets." that was in an earlier post by Cloneboy.

With the expansion boards and some great sounds it can be used for anything.

I have the triton rack. With several expansion modules.
I still always seem to turn to my Kurzweils first.
That is not to say that the Triton sucks, it doesn't, I use mine all the time. However, just as the Tritons need add-ons to bne really useful, the Kurzweils really shine when either programmed or hwne using thrid party patches, which hare freely available all over the net.
VAST still rules, IMO.

So, I am not arguing that the Tritons don't have some great stuff happening. I really do like my Triton. What I am contesting is your blanket statement "The Kurzweils are great, but they are not in the same league as a Triton".

It is *my* opinion that the Triton does not compare with the Kurzweil.

punkin said:
Good point...the Triton LE in it's factory form does have a bunch of club/synth stuff in it but does have a nice collection of viable instruments. My first add on though was the "Classic Keyboards"...I later sprung for the Orchestral Collection. With the sampler module, this thing surpasses anything I've played around on to date. I just wish the LE had weighted keys. I was raised on a proper piano.

You're going to do have to do your homework and find what suits your needs best.

I wasn't aware that you could add sounds to the Triton LE.

The only add-on I was aware off was that sampling card.

Are you sure?

punkin said:

The le 88 does have weighted keys

punkin said:

Hi, I'm thinking about getting "Classic Keyboards" for my KARMA, was it worth it? What kinds of keyboard sounds are on it?

i've played with my friend's triton for about a total of 10-20 hours and i can say that it's essentially a $2,000 casio keyboard. I went through all of the sounds (and the add-on sounds that he purchased later) and didn't find a single one that i liked. I'll concur that it's useful for rap/hip hop, but for a rock pianist/organist it's essentially a useless hunk of metal.

Back