Korg SR1 Rack Module

mzkman

I have a KORG SR1 rack module that I purchased new in 1993. I had it in storage for about 2 years and have lost 5 banks of the factory presets. Can anyone help explain how I can return the module to its factory state.

mzkman said:
I have a KORG SR1 rack module that I purchased new in 1993. I had it in storage for about 2 years and have lost 5 banks of the factory presets. Can anyone help explain how I can return the module to its factory state.
Not really sure about exect procedure to reset ROM, but it sounds most definitely like you have a dead battery. So first you need to replace that. As far as the ROM goes most Korgs use a procedure of holding down a combination of keys while powering up to reset factory defaults, but wheter or not this will restore your factory presets I don't know. Check the Korg site (Check there Japan site for good info on older models), for this procedure. If all else fail you can use sysex to reload. Here is a site that may be useful to you: http://www.danphillips.com/wavestation/ws_sysex.htm

I've got an M1R. A couple of years ago the original battery died and I lost all the factory sounds and programs. I took it to sume guy with a ROM card and he reinstalled the presets. All the sound were pretty close but but some were different from the original(Maybe a different version?).

Anyway, I read this thread then went on the net and found this site:

http://www.candisc.com/ranger/presets.htm

I followed the procedure thinking I could restore the M1R to the way it was when I first got it. Nope! It erased all the programs and all I'm left with is the basic sounds(sine waves, saw waves, drum kit, etc.)

Oh well. :rolleyes: I went back on the net and found another site called Voice Crystal that specializes in selling ROM cards with the original factory programs for these old synths. $50.00 bucks for the M1R ROM. Might as well have it because I like the M1R and who knows if these things will still be available when the battery dies again in another 5 years.

Actually I did replace my battery. What I now have are RAM Banks 1,2 & 3, ROM Banks 4 -7 are fine, ROM Banks 8, 9 & 10 duplicate the RAM 1,2 & 3 Banks, and ROM Bank 11 is fine. Very odd I think. I do have a CD that I purchase from the folks you mentioned by I have not tried the sysex dump yet. Still reading up on that. Thanks for your response.

mzkman said:
Actually I did replace my battery. What I now have are RAM Banks 1,2 & 3, ROM Banks 4 -7 are fine, ROM Banks 8, 9 & 10 duplicate the RAM 1,2 & 3 Banks, and ROM Bank 11 is fine. Very odd I think. I do have a CD that I purchase from the folks you mentioned by I have not tried the sysex dump yet. Still reading up on that. Thanks for your response.

OK, now I think I understand.

All of the ROM banks are fine.
The RAM banks have been replaced with the contents of ROM 8-10.
You can restore at least the original RAM 1/2 via a sysex dump of
banks at the bottom of this page:

http://www.danphillips.com/wavestation/ws_sysex.htm

The Wavestation SR's original RAM3 was from a commercial card. At least originally, it was not redistributed for free, and so I don't have it on my site; you may be able to find it elsewhere.

Best regards,

- Dan

Back