Korg M3 rack module

nate_dennis

Ok a few stupid questions from a non keyboardist.

First, when a manufacturer puts out a rack version of a keyboard/workstation, they usually put the same engines/etc in the rack as in the full version right?

Second, does anyone have any experience with the Korg M3? I'm mostly looking for a sampler, but I found a rack version for $150 which strikes me a sick price, but I could be wrong. The fact that the reviews I've read of the full version say they are great, leads me to think I should try to get it since it has a sampler as well as a library.

Third, does $150 for the above mentioned piece sound good?

Thanks,
Nate

Well, why if you're in the market for a sampler, ask yourself "Why would I buy a m3r?"

A sampler and M3R are different as night and day. The m3r is a rompler that can be tweaked for mostly (IMO) nice pads and efx.

Ask yourself, would the m3r be just be used to layer other sounds?

It is a good price but for &5 - 100 more, pick up a m1r bro.

As an owner of a Triton Rack, M1 Rack, Wavestation SR rack, 01R/W rack and MS2000R, I have a use for each of them.

To me, the m1, 01r/w and wavestation sr are great trance machines.

So I say if you have the money pick it up or buy a m1r. I litterally have like somewhere around 25,000 sounds for my korg synths.

If your looking for a sampler well, I recommend soft samplers. To me hardware samplers are a P I T A.

Any other questions, give me a shout.

Peace

I assume you are talking about the m3r, not the M3 (which is ~1600 used). No it is not a sampler at all and $150 is on the high side. You should be able to find one for ~100. It is a "light" version of the venerable M1

If your looking for a sampler well, I recommend soft samplers. To me hardware samplers are a P I T A.

Any other questions, give me a shout.

Peace

Thanks for all the info. The truth is; I record to tape and am trying to stay away from computers. (Mostly just for the fun of trying it, but there are other issues at play.) So a hardware sampler is more in line with what I'm looking to do. Thanks for the information.

-Nate

So a hardware sampler is more in line with what I'm looking to do. Thanks for the information.

-Nate

Well Nate, ask yourself this.

1. What is it you want to record?
2. How much sampling time will you need?
3. If it is "just for fun" what quality do you want?

The reason I ask these questions is, you can find a relativley cheap sampler for what you want. Try an Akai S1000, S2000, S2800 or S3000

If you look hard enough you can find a:

s1000 = $50 +/- $30
s2000/2800 = $100 +/- $30
s3000 = $140 +/- $50

Ebay, craigs list and other places are good places to start that usually have them.

Cheers

Back