keyboard for the poor

natmj

I'm looking to spend $200 to $400 on a keyboard for home recording purposes. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

This will easily get you a brand new velocity sensitive 61 key MIDI keyboard with a built-in synthesizer and maybe an Ad-Lib sequencer and a couple of cheesy speakers. All you really need is a good MIDI keyboard and a module that has the sounds you like.
Used will get you the same thing for less.
If you actually play the keyboards you'll want to spend more dough on a keyboard that has more (73 or 88) weighted keys and a standard key width.
Yamaha, Kawai, Fatar and Casio are all reasonable choices.

This will easily get you a brand new velocity sensitive 61 key MIDI keyboard with a built-in synthesizer and maybe an Ad-Lib sequencer and a couple of cheesy speakers. All you really need is a good MIDI keyboard and a module that has the sounds you like.
Used will get you the same thing for less.
If you actually play the keyboards you'll want to spend more dough on a keyboard that has more (73 or 88) weighted keys and a standard key width.
Yamaha, Kawai, Fatar and Casio are all reasonable choices.

you can get a casio keyboard ctk631(Ithink) for $200.00 at guitar center. and thay have better ones for not much more.

The best/cheapest way is to just buy the cheapest MIDI controler keyboard, and if you can hook it up to your soundcards synth.

I was in the exact same boat up until 3 weeks ago and after MUCH research, I bought the Casio WK-1300. This keyboard has 73 full size keys, has MIDI in/out, 4 built~in speakers, and lets you choose between regular or "touch sensitive" keys. There's just waaay too much to list on what this thing has and can do, including the most realistic sounding percussion instruments and a "grand piano" setting that sounds so REAL, if you closed your eyes you can't ell the difference. The strings are unbelievable and it has voice "do's" and "ahh's" that sound like real voices. I haggled with the salesman at Sam Ash and picked up this board for $275... You should be able to get one for under $300.. no problem. I played a lot of keyboards in the past several months, this one was definitely the best for that price range.

Check E-Bay out. Find yourself a clean, used, Ensoniq ESQ-1, great sounding board. 61 keys, Velocity Sensitive, and a built in Sequencer. Should run in the $200.00 to $300.00 range. Sure beats a Casio.

Look again at the Casio features I listed... The Casio has more keys (73), is "Touch Sensitive", it also has a built~in sequencer.. MIDI, and has one MAJOR thing over a used unit... A WARRANTY, and also the fact that some schmuck hasn't banged on it excessively or spilled a beer on the thing. Obviously, you haven't played the board I'm referring to. Casio has come a long way in the past few years. A friend of mine who has been playing keyboards for over 35 years in numerous progressive rock and jazz bands was just as skeptical, until he played it. He said it plays as good as his $1,200 Kurzweil... nuf said.

Back