Keyboard for a beginner (2013)

Houda

Hi all, had a search didn't really find anything that I was after.

Looking to buy a keyboard with preferably the full 88 set of keys
Weighted keys (not sure if this will push the budget too high)
Touch sensitive (is that even applicable if you get weighted keys?)
Midi, Headphones
How much would something like this cost?
Hoping it will be under $400?
I'm in Melbourne, Australia by the way.

Unless Australia has a way different market than the US, the only thing you are going to get with 88 weighted keys for under $400 is an old used piano.
Shop used in your area to see what's available.
Do you want just a digital piano, or a keyboard with multiple tones, workstation capability, etc?
I'd say this Korg is about the least expensive 88-key weighted action you will get new.

Probably going for more of a multi tone but would be using piano most of the time. I'd rather not get a piano as I'll have to tune it and wont be able to connect it to my laptop/interface if I wanted to record.

I'd recommend you have a look at Casio's Privia PX-150. I'm currently using a Casio WK 200 which is a nice $225 arranger keyboard with lots of nice features but non weighted, clicky keys (76). The Privia has a nice piano sound and great response. I've played Korgs, Nords, Casios, Rolands, and many real acoustic pianos but I really favor the feel of the Privia. It should only cost about $500. I would have bought it but I'm cheap and must have MIDI drumkit sounds on my working keyboard, lol.

If you're a beginner, the weighted keys is going to be a tough thing, unless you are simultaneously taking lessons on a real piano. The Casio WKs are a cheap alternative, if you can live with the clicky non-weighted keys.
Are you going to be recording audio or MIDI? The Casios offer both.

If you're a beginner, the weighted keys is going to be a tough thing, unless you are simultaneously taking lessons on a real piano. The Casio WKs are a cheap alternative, if you can live with the clicky non-weighted keys.
Are you going to be recording audio or MIDI? The Casios offer both.

Good point yet on the other hand, if you are taking piano you really need to get used to the feel of weighted keys, it's just better that way. I have found some keyboards like Rolands that are heavier than grand piano keys!

I started out on a Casio LK90TV lighted keyboard as a young kid and it took a little while to come to terms with the increased weight once I finally got an upright piano.

Light Casio keys are a godsend for oldsters who are developing arthritus! When I had to play the heavy Yamaha keys of a bandmate last year, it was a killer!

Not taking Piano lessons, friend has a digital piano and I prefer the feel of the weighted keys much more than non-weighted hence the preference. Not sure what you mean by recording audio or midi? could you clarify please? Also budget has been increased to $600, using my brothers old keyboard thats non-weighted, absolutely hate it but will do for now while I save for my one.

Audio = actual sound. MIDI = control signals to drive another (or a virtual, or the same, as in a recorded sequencer) instrument.

With that budget, go hit some local music stores to see what they have for used instruments.

Back