Keyboard Amps (sorry guys)

sajs...I'll let you know in a few days because I just ordered the KC550 Roland. I dont play keybass, the band is a typical dance band, 70's rock, southern rock, country and blues. I'm hoping this amp will serve its 180 watt purpose and let me hear myself on stage. The amp does get good reviews by its owners. Its a little more weight than I wanted, but keyborad amps tend to weigh more....and I got in a new band last weekend, same music genre. I'll be using the Roland KC550 with an Ensoniq ZR76 and a Hammond K1 digi organ. Wish me luck, hope it sounds good. Thanks for all the replies and help guys!

I think you'll be happy. I played through a KC550 that belonged to a church I attended - sounded pretty good to me. I played with a full band there (we had drums, elec. guitar, acoustic guitar, bass, keys, and four vocalists). Pretty large church with a large PA and the amp allowed me to hear myself just fine. Yeah, we weren't a hard rock band (lol), but there was a lot of stuff going on stage.

I understand what others are saying about a small PA for fidelity purposes, but honestly, carrying one decent amp has always worked for me.

Good luck and enjoy!

That's the exact problem I had with my 550. Reading everyone rave about them made me think perhaps I just got a bad one.

actually there's a real easy fix for that... it's really just running out of current... so ya just add some more capacitence to the supply.... 50-100% increase.... i've done it on 4-5 of them and it works well...

That's the exact problem I had with my 550. Reading everyone rave about them made me think perhaps I just got a bad one.

actually there's a real easy fix for that... it's really just running out of current... so ya just add some more capacitence to the supply.... 50-100% increase.... i've done it on 4-5 of them and it works well...

Please explain to me in detail how adding more capacitors to the power supply is going to help the bottom end. Thank you.

if you put an oscilloscope on the power rails and hit some thick bass sounds... you will actually "see" the bass reflected in the power... it's collapsing under load... so adding some more capacitence stiffens the rails and provides reserve current....

if you put an oscilloscope on the power rails and hit some thick bass sounds... you will actually "see" the bass reflected in the power... it's collapsing under load... so adding some more capacitence stiffens the rails and provides reserve current....

That's very interesting thank you. What size caps are you using?

it never fails, that we get into some technical issues...and I am not a tech by no means, just try stuff out and get what I think will work...and hopefully it will last awhile (years) the store I tried the Roland out in only had the KC350, so what the hey, a 550 with 180 watts should have a little more headroom. For bass we use this amp

ampegsvt6pro.jpg

its got all the lows you need and headroom for miles. I usually get a size 7 5/8 cap haha juz kidding

warble2, my wife and I also have Christian rock band, and we get pretty loud, she plays the keys in that group, hopefully she will like the KC550 too.

Tommorow is delivery day, we'll see.

I've heard the terms capacitors and rails in the amp head, dont know much about that stuff. I did have an amp explode once, tech said it was a capacitor so I believe they are very important, in my 40+ years of music its usually the transformers that smoke on me...:D

That's very interesting thank you. What size caps are you using?

sorry cant remember at this time and dont have a schemo available... i suggested priviousl an increase of 50-100%... and make sure they are the same voltage rating or better...

just wanted to thank all of you for your input....I got the KC550 and it is an awesome sounding keyboard amp and for what I play it has power to spare, it should get the job done. :)

Had to throw in...it is heavy at 62 lbs though.

thanks d.c...I played through it for a couple hours yesterday, doing settings etc and the KC550 has ample power for me, I also ran it stereo through my small PA system and it really cooked then. I'm thinking for a backline monitor its going to work out. I have a gig tonight so we'll get the live aspect.

Back