JV1010 just not cutting it anymore.

jeff0633

Hi guys.

I am a soloact that uses midi backing tracks. I have a JV1010, and it has done a fine job for a couple years now, but I am growing tired of the sounds. When I setup one of my midi files to run in sonar and tell it to use some of my soundfonts, the soundfonts sound so much more *real*, like a band of real instruments. The JV sound are kinda fake, not sure how to describe it, but they sound too proccessed or something, like the instrument frequencies don't mesh well in a multi channel song. The soundfonts are real samples, and I have some nice ones, even Akai sampels rendered down to soundfonts. Damn, I want to use some *real* sounding samples. hee's a few questions.

Are there any other options that use real samples like soundfonts that I could use live?

Are there any modules out there that will give a more full and real sounds? What about the Motif stuff?

I thought about recording all my midi songs through soundfonts into MP3 files, and save each Sonar song as a project, and then Each song would be a Sonar project that has an MP3 in it, and I would still be able to use my midi tracks in sync, which control my Digitech vocalist, which I need for my shows. Needing the vocalist means I will still need to sync to midi. Will Sonar use MP3 files? I am thinking I could load up a midi file, setup some good samples to use for it and record it to another track in Sonar, then mute the midi tracks, and only have my vocalist midi track along with the mp3, and save as a project, then move the project over to my laptop (Pentium 2 400 Thinkpad with 250 megs ram). I wouldn't be able to use wavs, cause that would get way too big when you are talking about 100 songs.

The problem with all that is that this takes a massive amount of time cause I have all these midi files setup to use with the JV, so I would have to go through each one and set it back up to use with the fonts, and man, that's a job.

I wish some company would make a GM module with really good samples, like good soundfonts. Is there such a module? What exactly is the difference between my JV1010 and one of those akai samplers? Is a sampler what I am really describing here? If a comapny came to me and said, hey, we have a sound module with killer real samples, but all you get is one piano, one synth, one set of drums, one bass, (I am the guitar player), but nothing else, I would still take it, cause I could still have all the instruments in a normal band, guitar, bass, piano, synth, maybe a sax, and drums. It would be worth it if the sounds were big and real. I even have the bass & drum card for the Jv, but it still doesn't sound as reall as my Gold drums soundfont set.

Please, some company make a GM module that has some real sounding sounds. I don't need a thousand sounds, I only need the sounds that a real, normal club band has. Keys, bass drums, sax, and that's about it. I could take my midi files and make some killer backing tracks. I don't need ten drums sets, I need one really good one. I don't need forty pianos, I need one REAL good one. In a real band, my old piano player would play other parts if we didn't have the right instruments in the band. He might do a brass section with his organ, and it worked great. I would do the same thing with this dream module. I don't need a 10 piece brass section, and neither did my band I was in. We did just fine, and so would I with this dream module that I wish existed.

Sorry for rambling.

Jeff

Maybe this is what you're looking for. Or they make a bigger one too --- find it here.

Your laptop should have at least one USB port - I know my ancient Thinkpad does - and if so, you should find this a 'plug and play' substitute for your JV1010. It probably sounds a little better too, but as always listen before you buy...

ssscientist said:
Maybe this is what you're looking for. Or they make a bigger one too --- find it here.

Your laptop should have at least one USB port - I know my ancient Thinkpad does - and if so, you should find this a 'plug and play' substitute for your JV1010. It probably sounds a little better too, but as always listen before you buy...

Why are you recommending sound modules which preceede the JV/XP series synths? :confused: Do you actually think they will sound better than the JV1010? If anything, at least recommend the Roland XV2020.

Roland came out with the SC (Sound Canvas) series of modules in the early 90's which is what the Edirol boxes are based on.

If the original poster wants better sounds, he/she should be looking at newer modules like the Fantom XR or Motif Rack.

brzilian said:
should be looking at newer modules like the Fantom XR or Motif Rack.
You probably meant to type 'more expensive modules like the Fantom XR or Motif Rack'. Have you actually heard the Edirol modules? These are not antiques by any means and have several neat tricks up their sleeves.

if you have the money drop it on a sampling keyboard... i recommend the kurzweil... you can get the k2000s for $500 or so on e-bay...

load in all the beautiful sounds you want... and the stock orchestral rom sounds pretty good as well

gl

The point here is that Jeff doesn't necessarily need a GM module, he just needs those few sounds that he uses a lot to be of high quality. Piano, bass, drums, and saxes. The recommendation of the Fantom XR or Motif is a good one in my opinion. The stock piano in the Fantom XR is actually very strong. Worth a trip to the store to check out these modules. Either would be a big step up from the JV-1010 GM sounds, not a little step up or step to the side like another GM module would be.

Last edited:
SonicAlbert said:
The point here is that Jeff doesn't necessarily need a GM module, he just needs those few sounds that he uses a lot to be of high quality. Piano, bass, drums, and saxes.
Is there no great quality VSTi Plug-In he could use with Sonar for a lot cheaper than all of the sound modules people are suggesting?

Kaulback said:
Is there no great quality VSTi Plug-In he could use with Sonar for a lot cheaper than all of the sound modules people are suggesting?

No, because he said he's going to use it for a live situation, in which working with VST and SONAR isn't the most comfortable thing. Hardware is better for live than software, in my opinion...

Correct. I am using only pentium 2 400 laptop with 250 megs ram. VST instrument would be too much for my laptop. It almost has to be hardware. I have tried running virtual sampler with Sonar on my laptop and there was no way the laptop could handle 8 tracls of midi using good soundfonts. Don't get me wrong, I like the Jv1010, and it has been reliable and solid for two years, never a problem, and I will retire it to bedroom studio work when I figure out what to upgrade to. The Korg sampler/keyboard mentioned sounds cool. I wouldn't mind setting up a keyboard stand at my gigs, so that wouldn't be no trouble. Can that thing handle 16 channels of midi?

What motif should I be looking at? Aren't there a few different versions? I checked out the Roland thing, and it looks awesome but soooo expensive.

Thanks for the ideas guys.

Jeff

stanjanssen said:
No, because he said he's going to use it for a live situation, in which working with VST and SONAR isn't the most comfortable thing. Hardware is better for live than software, in my opinion...

Hi,

I am fairly new to the PC MIDI scene, having learnt a lot back in the Atari ST days!

Just a though, but would it not be possible for Jeff to use an SR-JV expansion board and map those tracks that require "different" sounds to this rather than the stock GM ones?

Only an idea, and you can get some great deals on the US Ebay for expansion boards.

Andy

jeff0633 said:
What motif should I be looking at? Aren't there a few different versions? I checked out the Roland thing, and it looks awesome but soooo expensive.

Thanks for the ideas guys.

Jeff

The Motif Rack is probably pretty cheap now that the ES Rack is out.

ahhh i wish someone can make a PCM ram based vsti with something close to jv-1080 quality, i'm not asking too much ^_^"///
one can produce close to cd sampler soundquality but with tons effects and preset that can be loaded within 1~2 sec

Back