I'm getting a used Korg X5DR sound module!!

Xplora

My question is how does a real keyboardist/synthhead/sound guru listen to each patch to determine its quality? I have read some reviews at harmony-central saying that the piano sound is crap, the organ sounds are cool and generally its a spunky unit...

But specifically, what do you listen for? I've heard (urban music store lore) that you can work out if the piano sound is good by hitting the low notes... if they are good, the rest is probably good.

What am I listening for? I'm gunna get it anyway, but I haven't heard most of the presets yet, so I want to be able to work out whether each one is realistic enough

LWH

yes, I guess you can check quality by comparing the sound module tone to the real thing.

The low notes on some of my korg ns5r pianos are not great, but most of the action is expected to be in a certain range, and that range (around middle c )is nice.

also quality is based on what you are striving. A pianist may not think that a synth piano is nice, and someone who does dance may not be able to use an acoustic piano sound.

peace.

I've got an X5D keyboard and love it for several reasons:

1. For the price (I paid $500) it has GREAT Hammond B-3 sounds
2. It only weighs about 10 pounds, easy to haul.
3. You can go to Korgy Park and other sites on the net and download more sounds and entire banks of new stuff. IN fact, there is one bank that is entirely B-3 combinations based on the different drawbar settings.
4. It's got general midi
5. It's really easy to edit and save your own sound combinations
6. It has a great support group. To join, e-mail to: majordomo@dot.tcm.hut.fi
and in the body of your message type 'subscribe x5-jammers'.

I could probably think of a few more if it weren't so late.

Now, for the sounds:

1. The piano is NOT very good, I have a Kurzweil PC 88MX which I use for my piano sounds.
2. The brass is okay - some of the ones on the net are better.
3. Fair strings
4. Synth pads are GREAT!!
5. A good variety of bass sounds
6. Guitar sounds are fair to good
7. Elec pianos and DX piano sounds are pretty good.

It depends on what you want it for, but I like mine. I record with it, and play it live with the Kurz.

Let me know what you think when you get it.

mutt

Back