How To Start Playing A MIDI Controller

Mic

I am a NOOB!I have a Kaysound MK-4902 keyboard for computer I hooked it up to my soundcard.I use Acid Pro 4.0 or Voyetra.I cant get my keyboard to play sound I wonder if I have to have some loops hooked up or somthin can some one please help me out ?.Im still gonna do a web search for help

Sorry if I'm being to basic here. You said you were new to this, so...

I don't know what kind of controller you have. But as you call it a controller I guess it is just that, and has no sound generating device of its own. Midi's just a control language, what will happen is in a sense decided on the receiving side. That could basically be sound, lights, sequencer control or a stupid bridge going up and down. Mostly it's used for soundgeneration though. Some of us kick the midisignals out again, to an external module or back to the controller (if it has some kind of sound). Some use a soundcard internally, like the soundblaster live. Some use softsynths. And many of us use all of these combined.

You say you have the keyboard connected to a soundcard, I'll take a guess that this soundcard has a synth of some kind aboard and is capable of receiving midi. You'll just need some kind of software to map the controller to the soundcard. Most of us probably use some kind of sequencer for this, I use Cakewalks Pro Audio. I haven't used anything from Voyetra for years, but if it is/has a midisequencer of some sort there should be a way to map through it with the midi ins & outs.

I'd recommend you to read this, I think that it's downloadable somewhere on Cakewalks site if you prefer to read offline.

http://www.cakewalk.com/tips/desktop.asp

MIDI Keyboard Reply

Thanks for your post.I understand how MIDI sends only data thru the sound card to a sequencer like Acid Pro or cakewalk Pro Audio.
The problem Im trying to figure out is how to play a note or beat
from my keyboard connected to my sound card in a sequencer like Pro Audio Or Acid 4.0 or voyetra cause when I select input and output device on Pro Audio then press ok I still cant get sound from my keyboard.I know to need a beat or sound to manipulate but it still doesn't work.Im gonna read Pro Audio read me file.But please help

Some things to try:
It's probably smart to find out if it's in or out or both that's the problem. Often there's some kind of visual aid in sequencers that clues you in if it's receiving midi. Like a small LED or something like that.

Now try to prepare a track for midi recording, and start recording, do you see if anything gets recorded? Some sequencers seems to record but there's no actual midievents.

If you manage to record something (even if you didn't hear what you recorded) you're probably close. Most sequencers I've seen lets you force midi out port/channel per track. Try that...

Are you using Windows?

If so, you may have to add the midi device to your system. Goto control panel/multimedia to add a new midi device.

Carl

Back