Home Studio Keyboard Recommendations

HomeRec

I'm putting together a home digital recording solution. As part of the setup, I am looking to buy a fairly inexpensive keyboard for MIDI sequencing (drums, bass and effects) as well as playing.

I've been looking at the Yamaha PSR-540 for a while, as it has a reasonable price ($400-$500) and all of the standard capabilities, as well as on-board sequencing and a floppy disk drive for MIDI files.

However, I was wondering if there is another, better option for about the same cost. I have looked at the Yamaha S03 and a Korg X5D, which both look like good units, and seem to offer customizeable sounds.

I am an experienced keyboard player, so full-sized keys are a must. Also, my budget is fairly flexible, but I would like to keep it under $1000. Any suggestions?

DavidK said:
I would suggest the Roland JV1010 sound module ($395) and a keyboard controller ($100 or so).There are lots of posts here about that, so read up a little. Best of luck

Oh, speaking of that, after being in backorder limbo with Zzounds for a couple of weeks, I finally did get that MK-4902 version at Guitar Center for $82 (some display use, but otherwise new).

I told you I'd let you know when I finally landed one of these.

I don't have a functioning MIDI interface until I get the new computer built next week, but I powered it up and everything seems to work fine. No championship key action here, but otherwise a darn good no-frills controller for basic use.

Thanks so far...

I looked at MIDI controllers, and most of the $100-range units have a very limited number of keys. I'd like to keep the number of keys at or above 61.

Also, I think that I'd like to go with an all-in-one unit, rather than a separate module and controller combo.

Regarding the Yamaha S30, how does the S03 compare to it?

How about a vintage Roland U20?

c.1989? Thanks, no. ;)

I'll do a little more research on keyboards and get some opinions from the local music stores. Chances are, I'll end up with the PSR-540 (or the new psr-550 I've been reading about), if for no other reason than I've been looking at the psr-540 for quite some time, and like what it has to offer.

Eventually, I may get a full-size weighted keyboard for straight playing, but the 540 or 550 should be fine for now. Besides... no amplifier needed. :D

XP-30 worked for me...

I picked up an XP-30 for these reasons.

61 keys (enough for a guitar player)
Servicable GM sound set.
JV achitecture (allows use of many net resources out there)
and here's the kicker...
More built in sounds than just about anything I could find. I ships with about 1200 different patches, including sounds from the session, orchestral, and techno expansion boards. Plus there's slots for two more cards (I added bass and drums)

what this gives me is a capable jv based sound module with more sounds than I can scroll through. Not all of the sounds are great, but no keybaord has been able to achive that. That said there's a well regarded piano, good strings, and a great selection of bas and drums sounds.

The only thing missing is analog sounds, and I'm getting them from softsynths (if I ever need them).

It goes for (not much) under $1000, NAMM may cause the price to drop, I managed to get mine for under $900, but I drove a hard bargain. When you consider the expansion cards go for around 200 each, this keyboard is a bargain.

It seems as though our goals were similar in a keyboard pruchase, and for me I couldn't be happier.

For less money, the n5 module from korg, or the Alesis keyboards will give much of the functionality, for about half the price. I wouldn't trade my xp-30 though.

Hi HomeRec,

I've got a PSR-540, and it's ok. The thing I don't like is that the keys aren't senmsitive to after touch... maybe not a big deal, but I some of the tunes in my head need it.

I'm far from a pro, a newbie my self, so my only real advice is:

DON'T rush into anything... if you don't understand womething about what you want, don't buy until you do... it might be something important

Godo hunting,
Denis

Thanks, and a few questions

schwa: Thanks for the recommendation - it looks like a good (albeit pricey) synth. One question: what do you mean by "analog sounds"?

Darrin/crosstudio: Where can you find fatar? Also, how much did the Roland module add on to the price? Keyboard/module sounds will be helpful when transferring MIDI to audio.

Denis(amd): No worries on "rushing in" to a puchase - I always do my homework, especially for multi-100-dollar items. In fact, that's what this post is all about. ;)

On the 540 specifically, what do you mean by "after touch"? I know there is no weighted action on the keys, but the keyboard does have touch sensitivity.

i got the fatar from www.kraftmusic.com

they also sell the roland xv-3080, but i got it cheaper at my local mega-music shop: chuck levin's washington music center. they let me play with it and the triton rack for an hour or so before i made up my mind.

the xv-3080 is in the $1000 range, but you can get something cheaper on ebay. i sold my roland sc-880 on ebay once i bought the xv-3080.

HomeRec,

Sorry, I think I was talking out the wrong oriface, there. The 540 does indeed have what I thought was lacking.

Maybe it's the wrong term. What I meant was, if I press a key down and vary the pressure, the volume is unaffected. Aftertouch? I don't remember...

I'm glad to hear you've got enought self control (more than I've had at times) to make the right decision for your instrument. It's really a big deal, and for lots of people, choices are limited.

Denis

Got a fatar studio logic 161 with a jv 1010. Guitar center may still be running a special on the 161 ($200 after mail in rebate.) The price can't be beat. I like the action on the 161 better than all the other midi controllers i tried in the $100-$300 range. The JV1010 gives you tons of sounds! And the total for both the controller and the module was only $600. That's a deal I couldn't pass up. I still go to bed at night dreaming about the triton but I do get to wake up and still find I have money in my bank account for food.

If you haven't spent your money yet you need to check out the new Roland RS-5 (very similar to the XP-30 but nearly $300.00 cheaper. Yamaha also has a new synth, the SO-3, which costs around $500.00. I have not played either of these boards so I can not comment on thier action or sound banks. I hope to but the Yamha and couple it with the Roland JV 1010 and a comparable Korg module in a stepped purchase. Since what you really end up paying for are the number of sounds that a keyboard or module has, this plan at least for me, sounds like the best way to go. Roland is a leader and probably has the best overall sound sets. But each of the others, mentioned or not, have particular samples that while they may not be better, they may offer a better sound or sample for different or even the same insturments.

My instructor in college for MIDI advised me to look at synths and not keyboards with built in speakers. It was his opinion that the latter were more for the home market and I would probably become frustrated quickly with thier limited sound palate.

A simple keyboard controler and sound module is a good way to go. But when I did the math and compared features it looked like a synth and sound module was still the way to go.

Good luck.....................:cool:

** UPDATE **

Okay... as I mentioned earlier, I've been doing a lot research on keyboards. As such, the PSR-540 is rapidly fading into the proverbial distance as my expectations (and price ceiling) have gone up.

Ozlee - I think you meant the S03, a keyboard I mentioned in my initial post. Thanks for the tip on the Roland - I will see if I can find one to try. A bit of advice on your purchase; if you are going with an external sound module, unless you need a feature such as on-board sequencing (or just want extra patches), go with a decent controller and module, and skip the synth. The money you save may buy you a few more keys.

Right now, I'm looking into controller/module bundles, or an all-in-one unit. Yamaha S30, Fatar SL-760, Roland A-33 and Roland JV-1010 are all under consideration. At this point, either the S30 or Fatar/Roland and the JV-1010 are the primary options.

Thanks for all of the suggestions so far, and keep 'em coming! :)

You might want to rethink the controller, module thing. If you were to get a comfortable, inexpensive controller, you could add quite a few modules to your arsenal. As time passes and technology improves, it's an easier pill to swallow dropping $300 or $400 on a new module than $1600 or better on a whole new keyboard. Besides, it easier to sell modules than whole keyboards. Case in point are the 2 Kawai K-5's I have here!! Remember those?

I have, 1299. (see previous response)

However, as an interesting side note, as long as the synth is General MIDI-compatible, you should be able to pick up modules and use the synth's keyboard as a "controller", using the new module's patches. This would be the same as buying a controller and module, then adding another module to the setup. The only thing that would render the synth completely obsolete is the General MIDI protocol being replaced.

Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with the Kawai keyboards you mentioned. :( However, I did get the chance to play a Yamaha DX-7 a while back (though I never did own one). :)

Last edited:
a modified dog said:
HomeRec,

Maybe it's the wrong term. What I meant was, if I press a key down and vary the pressure, the volume is unaffected. Aftertouch? I don't remember...

Denis

Just wanted to follow up on this, Denis, if you're still checking in on the thread. "Aftertouch" is the correct term; at the time, I hadn't heard of it.

And I believe you are correct - the PSR-540 does not have that feature.

Contorlers?!

Homerec,

The new Yamaha SO3 is a littile less thatn $500.00 has 61 keys and comes with aprox 736 Yamaha sound patches and some other features as well from Musician's Friend. I am not sure of the keyboard action which is where the rubber meets the road, after that the amount of memory a synth has is taken into consideration. Well the sound engine may be should be considered as well. ie. 16, 32, 64, 128, note polphony and 8, 16, 32, note multitimberal

I don't know of a controler and module setup with comparable features to the Yamaha SO3 that will cost any less and more than likely it might be a little more, if you consider buying new as the base line for comparison. I guess you could say it comes down to the keyboard action as the deciding factor, keyboard synth or keyboard controler, and I would be grateful to hear how your final choices work out, that is if I don't go ahead with this system first:

Yamaha SO3, Roland 1010, Korg XR-5? In my way of thinking this would give you a wide sound palette to work with for aprox $1200.00 which you could do in three steps. I really don't know how practical or smart these three modules would be in some peoples opinion, but it seems like you would have some of the sound patches from each of the three best synths, maybe?

If anyone has reasons to differ I would like to hear what the draw backs are before I spend my money, because I could sure miss something if I don't talk to enough of the right people before I buy.

I have read some of the posts by Blue Bear Sound and this guy seems to have a good understanding of midi and the limitations of keyboards in reproducing different instruments. You might try contacting him which, is what I will probably do if He dosn't read this thread and reply on his own.

I have used the JV XP-30 and It really seemed like a great way to go, but its cost is right at a $1000.00, to much for me at one time.

Ozlee:confused: :eek: :rolleyes: :cool:

P.S.
Something I picked up in one of the other forums is that not all cheap keyboards are fully midi compatiable. The KEY word being FULLY MIDI compatiable. I took this to mean that while they are midi contolable they may have limitations as "controlers".

Last edited:
Back