hip hop oriented keyboard

Young Chris 101

has anybody heard anything about the EM-U Mo'Phatt MK-6 keyboard. im plannin on getting one.
or does anyone know any other keyboards out there good for hip hop or r&b.

If you want to sound like most commercial rap/r&b artists, a Korg Triton is the way to go. But I think the Mo'Phatt will do you just grand. Check out the Hip-Hop/DJ forum on this site to get some more suggestions. They post gear lists and questions like this all the time. Do a quick search, and you'll be set.

Awesome Keyboard!!! Awesome Sounds!!! And there are plenty of really cool ROM cards available. Also consider Alesis QS6.2, which also has some nice ROM Cards (Hip Hop, Euro, Gospel etc.).

I would think the same questions apply no matter what kind of music you want to make though there are some generalizations such as hip-hop lending itself more to un-real sounds more so than some other styles.

But ask yourself if you prefer real instrument sounds or electronic sounds and that will tell you what direction to go. For instance, out of the two suggestions above, the Triton or the MoPhatt, I know the Triton has a good dose of real instrument emulations. I am not sure of the MoPhatt.

Anyway (why do I have so much to say about this subject, hmmmmmm...don't know) okay, anyway, give care to listening to these instruments before buying since in my experience, the sounds that you think are the coolest in the store may not have that much use when you start building tracks. Manufacturers like to program flashy sounds in their synths to wow the audience and get sales, they are not concerned so much with creating good tracks.

Whatever the case may be,k good luck.

Back