HELP, Please - Roland FP4 Keyboard and MIDI

gvdv

Hi,
I struggle to understand the Instruction Manual for the Roland FP4, so I am hoping to get some answers here to several questions I have about the FP4 and MIDI.

1. Because the FP4 has (a) two MIDI 5 pin DIN connectors, and (b) a USB out for MIDI does this mean that either one of these sets of connectors can be used to record a live performance (in MIDI format, of course) to a computer?

2. If I want simultaneously have my computer record audio and MIDI data from the FP4 as I am playing the keyboard, is the FP4 capable of doing these things simultaneously? (I would be using the ¼” Left and Right outputs to send the audio data to eye audio interface, of course).

3. Assuming that it is possible to simultaneously send audio and MIDI data to my computer, and presuming that MIDI can be sent through either the USB port, or through the 5 pin DIN cables, which of the two options for MIDI should I choose when sending audio data – or does it not matter?

4. I presume that if I wanted to transfer a performance which I had already recorded in the memory of my FP4, I would use the USB output. Is that correct, or is the 5 pin DIN MIDI output connector also capable of transferring already-recorded MIDI data?

5. Given that the FP4 is an older keyboard, should I download a new driver from the Roland website in order to get the keyboard to work properly in my DAW is an audio device?

Many thanks for any help you can give with these questions.

1. Because the FP4 has (a) two MIDI 5 pin DIN connectors, and (b) a USB out for MIDI does this mean that either one of these sets of connectors can be used to record a live performance (in MIDI format, of course) to a computer?.

Either is fine. You select either the keyboard USB or the interface midi as the input midi device.

2. If I want simultaneously have my computer record audio and MIDI data from the FP4 as I am playing the keyboard, is the FP4 capable of doing these things simultaneously? (I would be using the ¼” Left and Right outputs to send the audio data to eye audio interface, of course).

Yes, Connect audio to interface as you have described. In your DAW create a midi track to record the midi (either via USB or DIN), and an audio track to record L & R from the interface.

3. Assuming that it is possible to simultaneously send audio and MIDI data to my computer, and presuming that MIDI can be sent through either the USB port, or through the 5 pin DIN cables, which of the two options for MIDI should I choose when sending audio data – or does it not matter?
It doesn't matter. YOu can use either USB or DIN for midi.

4. I presume that if I wanted to transfer a performance which I had already recorded in the memory of my FP4, I would use the USB output. Is that correct, or is the 5 pin DIN MIDI output connector also capable of transferring already-recorded MIDI data?
You should be able to send you prerecorded midi via either.

5. Given that the FP4 is an older keyboard, should I download a new driver from the Roland website in order to get the keyboard to work properly in my DAW is an audio device?
Possibly. If the DAW doesn't recognise the keyboard via its USB, then you need to find a driver. Or just use DIN midi. However, MIDI is not compicated, and most contemporary computers will sort it out automatically.

gecko zzed,
Many thanks for your reply above - I had not realized until now that someone had replied to my questions.

Back