Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: HELP, Please - Roland FP4 Keyboard and MIDI

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    379
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Rep Power
    857

    HELP, Please - Roland FP4 Keyboard and MIDI

    Sign in to disable this ad
    Hi,
    I struggle to understand the Instruction Manual for the Roland FP4, so I am hoping to get some answers here to several questions I have about the FP4 and MIDI.

    1. Because the FP4 has (a) two MIDI 5 pin DIN connectors, and (b) a USB out for MIDI does this mean that either one of these sets of connectors can be used to record a live performance (in MIDI format, of course) to a computer?

    2. If I want simultaneously have my computer record audio and MIDI data from the FP4 as I am playing the keyboard, is the FP4 capable of doing these things simultaneously? (I would be using the ” Left and Right outputs to send the audio data to eye audio interface, of course).

    3. Assuming that it is possible to simultaneously send audio and MIDI data to my computer, and presuming that MIDI can be sent through either the USB port, or through the 5 pin DIN cables, which of the two options for MIDI should I choose when sending audio data – or does it not matter?

    4. I presume that if I wanted to transfer a performance which I had already recorded in the memory of my FP4, I would use the USB output. Is that correct, or is the 5 pin DIN MIDI output connector also capable of transferring already-recorded MIDI data?

    5. Given that the FP4 is an older keyboard, should I download a new driver from the Roland website in order to get the keyboard to work properly in my DAW is an audio device?

    Many thanks for any help you can give with these questions.
    www.CollaborativeTherapy.com
    "If the The Beatles or the '60s had a message it was 'Learn to Swim'. And once you've learned - Swim".
    John Lennon

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ranelagh Tasmania
    Age
    70
    Posts
    8,750
    Thanks
    249
    Thanked 807 Times in 672 Posts
    Rep Power
    21474860
    Quote Originally Posted by gvdv View Post
    1. Because the FP4 has (a) two MIDI 5 pin DIN connectors, and (b) a USB out for MIDI does this mean that either one of these sets of connectors can be used to record a live performance (in MIDI format, of course) to a computer?.
    Either is fine. You select either the keyboard USB or the interface midi as the input midi device.

    Quote Originally Posted by gvdv View Post
    2. If I want simultaneously have my computer record audio and MIDI data from the FP4 as I am playing the keyboard, is the FP4 capable of doing these things simultaneously? (I would be using the ” Left and Right outputs to send the audio data to eye audio interface, of course).
    Yes, Connect audio to interface as you have described. In your DAW create a midi track to record the midi (either via USB or DIN), and an audio track to record L & R from the interface.

    Quote Originally Posted by gvdv View Post
    3. Assuming that it is possible to simultaneously send audio and MIDI data to my computer, and presuming that MIDI can be sent through either the USB port, or through the 5 pin DIN cables, which of the two options for MIDI should I choose when sending audio data – or does it not matter?
    It doesn't matter. YOu can use either USB or DIN for midi.

    Quote Originally Posted by gvdv View Post
    4. I presume that if I wanted to transfer a performance which I had already recorded in the memory of my FP4, I would use the USB output. Is that correct, or is the 5 pin DIN MIDI output connector also capable of transferring already-recorded MIDI data?
    You should be able to send you prerecorded midi via either.

    Quote Originally Posted by gvdv View Post
    5. Given that the FP4 is an older keyboard, should I download a new driver from the Roland website in order to get the keyboard to work properly in my DAW is an audio device?
    Possibly. If the DAW doesn't recognise the keyboard via its USB, then you need to find a driver. Or just use DIN midi. However, MIDI is not compicated, and most contemporary computers will sort it out automatically.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    379
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Rep Power
    857
    gecko zzed,
    Many thanks for your reply above - I had not realized until now that someone had replied to my questions.
    www.CollaborativeTherapy.com
    "If the The Beatles or the '60s had a message it was 'Learn to Swim'. And once you've learned - Swim".
    John Lennon

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Roland XP-60 Music Workstation Keyboard MIDI + Exp. Board + Pedal - $600 OBO
    By EmmSee in forum Free Ads for Music/Recording Equipment
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-28-2010, 06:18
  2. Need new Midi Keyboard ala Roland PC-200
    By markymarc in forum Keyboards and Sound Modules
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-22-2004, 05:11
  3. Roland XV-5050 and Emu Mophatt w/ Midi keyboard up for grabs
    By Sofisticated in forum Free Ads for Music/Recording Equipment
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-17-2004, 01:39
  4. Roland A-33 Midi Keyboard Controller
    By birdy in forum Roland, Boss, VS Series Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-21-2003, 11:01
  5. Good N Cheap midi keyboard, Fatar? Roland? Must buy soon...
    By tubedude in forum Keyboards and Sound Modules
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-17-2003, 14:14

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •