Help me, I'm going to build a pipe organ

OK, I was thinking of one end closed v. both ends closed.

http://www.physicsclassroom.com/Class/sound/U11L5c.html

http://www.physicsclassroom.com/Class/sound/U11L5d.html

Which harmonics do you get from tube distortion?

Second, mostly. But more important than that, tubes don't have as much third. Transistors seem to come with a certain amount of third-order baggage; it's there even when second is low. Third tends to stay low as levels increase and second rises, but when transistors clip there is massive amounts of high-order distortion, which is really nasty.

Next I'd like to do a VST that manipulates the overtone series, but not in terms of EQ, instead with pitch-shifting and maybe synthesis. Should be fun :)

Organ update

Well, the first three ranks of pipes are on the way :) Pictures when I get 'em, and sound clips too! Also, I am ordering parts to build the power supply to drive the organ magnets tonight. I am using a commercial switching PSU that dishes out 16A @ 12V, that should do for now. All I have to do is drop it into a rackmount case, with switch, input & output jacks, and figure out how much capacitance I need to add to offset the inductive load :confused: Should be fun, and still easier than building from scratch. I only know how to build linear supplies, and they aren't efficient enough for this :o

Best of all, the alpha release of my organ control software, Organ Monkey! Download it here if you're bored and want to try out a MIDI multiplexer app! :)

http://www.naiant.com/pipeorgan.html

I've done the beer bottle orchestra thing before, it's fun. At least when you're in college and bored.

Not too much to report on the organ front. The pipes haven't arrived yet. I spent a few hours today working on the PSU. I bought a commercial 12V switching supply, but I still have to drop that in a 1u case, provide connectors for the windchests (I am using Speakons, because I have them laying around), a switch, breaker, etc. Rather tedious work, as I HATE metal fabrication.

I need to buy a couple more punches to finish the case, so it won't be done for another week or so.

Mmmmmmm mmmmmm mmmm mmmmmm mmmm mmmmmm mmmmm mmmmm mmm mmmmm mmm mmmmmmm mmmm mmmmmmm MMMMMMMMM :cool:

That's the theme to Bach's Passacaglia and Fugue in C minor ;)

Sadly my pipes will stop two octaves short of that low note, but what can you do? Other than pitch shift plugs :o

Let's see, the PSU is pretty much done. Monday I got the first two ranks of pipes, which are very cool, but I can't leave them laying around due to young children and 50% lead content :eek: I am working on getting two more ranks. Windchest construction will start by the weekend :)

....dude......play the Little Fugue in G minor!!!! :cool:

Truth be told, I am not going to play any music except my own. This is a compositional tool for me. I'm a string instrumentalist, but I can't leave strings out because my children will destroy them. But they will not be able to reach the pipes.

Also, I will be able to compose with MIDI, which means no audio overdubbing. That's very helpful when quiet time is limited. I can compose and record MIDI while the house is noisy, then set off the finished composition and record when I get a few quiet minutes. Sure, I could do that with samplers, synths, etc, but I like real instruments and real spaces. A lot of other organ hobbyists are wiring up organ consoles to control sample libraries. I think that is totally backwards.

You'll be able to play the organ too! Just send me a MIDI file :cool:

thats so cool how they used to come with air supply songs in them

sideview.gif

Back