Hardware or Software Synth?

Alexrkstr

I own a Nord Electro 4 and I like it. Fantastic keybed, wonderful samples (limited memory), but overall great piano and organ replacement. I'm looking to pair it with something contemporary, and the synths in ProTools, Reason, and Logic Pro X don't inspire me (maybe I haven't found a good sound because there's 1,000,000 to choose from). What would you recommend?

I was considering a Virus TI, Nord Lead A1 rack, or a Prophet as potential synths. The only challenge here is that I don't have perfect timing, I'm just not that good. Therefore, if I want a clean recording, I would have to record MIDI - then quantize the performance - then rewire the send to the keyboard and record the audio (complex huh?).

Check out the Arturia V collection. It goes on sale every once in a while, I was able to get it for $199 last year, and the upgrade to V2 for $99 this year. Pretty terrific collection of vintage analog synths from the 70s thru the 90s.

Check out the Arturia V collection. It goes on sale every once in a while, I was able to get it for $199 last year, and the upgrade to V2 for $99 this year. Pretty terrific collection of vintage analog synths from the 70s thru the 90s.

Thanks for the recommendation. I see someone on eBay has it for $299, which seems to be a fair price. However, some reviews I read claimed the pitch was off (just want to clarify, not sure how true that is). And, also, in their description it reads that only one or two have arpeggiators; realize logic has it's own midi arpegiator but thought I'd ask.

So, you just need something to play with ? Just kiddin' If I was looking a step beyond the Dave Smith, I think MacBeth has a good sound. I'm all nickle/dime over here. On the VST/i side, I like synthmaster.

My big expense was a used Ultranova and a toolbox of samples with the Casio xw-p1. These have presets like with old Kawai patches, etc.. I have a little Microbrute that that doesn't have any "choices" other than dialing them in.

I don't know what happened to Ken's Elements Synth ? It just vanished. Sites did have it for sale last year.

Prophet 12
https://youtu.be/-Q2u-9FkDBE

So, you just need something to play with ? Just kiddin' If I was looking a step beyond the Dave Smith, I think MacBeth has a good sound. I'm all nickle/dime over here. On the VST/i side, I like synthmaster.

My big expense was a used Ultranova and a toolbox of samples with the Casio xw-p1. These have presets like with old Kawai patches, etc.. I have a little Microbrute that that doesn't have any "choices" other than dialing them in.

I don't know what happened to Ken's Elements Synth ? It just vanished. Sites did have it for sale last year.

Prophet 12
https://youtu.be/-Q2u-9FkDBE

I think this is very close, now I need to decide whether I go hardware or software. Prophet V from Arturia seems to get close to all of this.

Any thoughts on hardware vs software?

The only software last year through now was PC games and and anti-virus. My mixer saw a lot of new stuff last year, though. Right now, it's 10 inputs from eight synths and I don't need to turn on the computer to record. VST/i are still fun, though, but we won't get the selection of different keybeds.

I've not spent a lot of time on the computer in 2016, but one of the last vst/i I snagged was OBXD in Dec. 2015.

The hardware OB-X;
https://youtu.be/jb-AXmCQclg

Hardware.

Software is a *title*; Hardware is an *instrument*. But to each his own. I have both and prefer hardware. Even some cheap rackmount rompler is better than another gizmo on-screen.

Ponder5

I much prefer hardware to software myself and my bassstation (in particular) and circuit get used a lot.
I think more than anything it's a matter of workflow for me though - I've got Massive among other soft-synths that sound excellent but I find it far quicker (and more enjoyable) to use the BS OR Circuit and sample the output into Maschine.

Well, it's not always about the sounds 100-percent. You mention the workflow, and that's also the performance aspect of different hardware. I have a keyboard for touchy/feely stuff. I got these encoders that do this. This sequencer/arp is just great, etc.. I can loop this with record stop play. Whatever : ) If I play this before it warms up, I'll have my out of tune track.

I think software synths are amazing and more convenient to edit, recall, automate. If you are ok with sitting if from of the screen of course. a good midi controller and a software bundle would give a better results with less money. Although having an analog synths such as prophet six is nice. I own OB 6 and play it most of the time as a stand alone instrument and if I get some ideas I go to my DAW and work with software instruments most of the time. For me it's more about the workflow not the sound or analog vs hardware debate.

I have a lot of VSTs and with a controller and a good DAW I can have many of them in memory. With the touch of a button, I can add another layer to an already massive sound, or cut them all off except for a piano or quartet of strings. The pianos and strings are actual samples, so it's a great balance to the raw synth sounds of the many different sets of oscillator and filter combinations. I have analog VSTs, digital VSTs, replica synth VSTs, mono and poly.
I'm sure hardware has it's benefits, because the real thing can be the best, at times. But, if I were to have an actual hardware synth for every VST I have, there would be no way I could have them all on a keyboard stand, at the same time. I'm talking several hundred VSTs, some I paid for and some were freebees. Some might sound like junk alone, but layered up with something else, they create a very different sound combination.
And I have many set up in groups that I load, depending on what I've got in mind to play. I don't think the RAM on my computer could handle them all loaded up at the same time, but I also don't think I'd ever want them all loaded up at the same time. I pick and choose and play around with them, listening to how they sound with other VSTs...how they enhance the sound into something totally different...something you can't buy. Then, with added effects, yet another world is opened up.

Software tools are more in demand because they allow you to solve the problem flexibly. You can use one program today, and if it doesn't suit you tomorrow, replace it with another that has a better sample library and sufficient functionality.

There's benefits and drawbacks to both. I still use hardware synths more, but there are some great softsynths out there now that sound good and are very rewarding to use, including, of course, some that have no real competition in the hardware world. I would hate to be without Reaktor, for example.

There are some great software synths out there, but, I find the best ones are the ones that aren't trying to replicate an analogue classic. Pigments, The Falcon, Phase Plant; all do a fantastic job of creating modern sounds.

I own a Moog and a Dave Smith Prophet Rev2 and I'm yet to hear a soft synth that can replicate those synths, especially when playing single note leads. Some are in the ballpark which can be pretty cool if that's all you really want.

Quantizing isn't always the best thing. It can make the performance too rigid and robotic. Allow yourself slight timing issues as it'll make it human and allow more interest.

As far as a synth, I'd go modular, something that you can build on later with cheaper add-ons. Maybe something like the Moog Grandmother ;)

Back