Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Hardware or Software Synth?

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Leave it to Dave Smith to come up with, once again, the best stuff ever.

Ponder5

Thanks
    A lot of people would just as soon have some SEM action, which is partially why I noted my Dec. 2015 download on the OBXD plug

https://youtu.be/zw8pKlKL-SU
    https://youtu.be/0ze0O29O11o
    https://youtu.be/BlmrnAk0oHU

FOR ME, its about filters. At least I gots a monotron. hahaha
    Last edited by garww; 01-20-2017 at 19:29.

Thanks
    I much prefer hardware to software myself and my bassstation (in particular) and circuit get used a lot.
    I think more than anything it's a matter of workflow for me though - I've got Massive among other soft-synths that sound excellent but I find it far quicker (and more enjoyable) to use the BS OR Circuit and sample the output into Maschine.
    Turntable: Scarlett 2i2: Alto Mixer: Maschine MKII: Korg ER-1 MKII: Studio One V2: SE2200II-MP: AT-M50X: Novation Impulse, BassStationII & Circuit: Yamaha HS7's: Head Nod.

Thanks
    Well, it's not always about the sounds 100-percent. You mention the workflow, and that's also the performance aspect of different hardware. I have a keyboard for touchy/feely stuff. I got these encoders that do this. This sequencer/arp is just great, etc.. I can loop this with record stop play. Whatever : ) If I play this before it warms up, I'll have my out of tune track.

Thanks
    I think software synths are amazing and more convenient to edit, recall, automate. If you are ok with sitting if from of the screen of course. a good midi controller and a software bundle would give a better results with less money. Although having an analog synths such as prophet six is nice. I own OB 6 and play it most of the time as a stand alone instrument and if I get some ideas I go to my DAW and work with software instruments most of the time. For me it's more about the workflow not the sound or analog vs hardware debate.

Thanks
    I have a lot of VSTs and with a controller and a good DAW I can have many of them in memory. With the touch of a button, I can add another layer to an already massive sound, or cut them all off except for a piano or quartet of strings. The pianos and strings are actual samples, so it's a great balance to the raw synth sounds of the many different sets of oscillator and filter combinations. I have analog VSTs, digital VSTs, replica synth VSTs, mono and poly.
    I'm sure hardware has it's benefits, because the real thing can be the best, at times. But, if I were to have an actual hardware synth for every VST I have, there would be no way I could have them all on a keyboard stand, at the same time. I'm talking several hundred VSTs, some I paid for and some were freebees. Some might sound like junk alone, but layered up with something else, they create a very different sound combination.
    And I have many set up in groups that I load, depending on what I've got in mind to play. I don't think the RAM on my computer could handle them all loaded up at the same time, but I also don't think I'd ever want them all loaded up at the same time. I pick and choose and play around with them, listening to how they sound with other VSTs...how they enhance the sound into something totally different...something you can't buy. Then, with added effects, yet another world is opened up.
    Music ~ the International Language

Thread Information