Guitar amp, Bass amp, Keyboard amp?

oh_the_blood

Which amp would be best to use a powered analog synth like the casio Cz1000? Does it make a difference? What do you guys use? And what would you recommend? I have about 150 bucks and i figure through a pawn shop, ebay or whatever.
So please, some suggestions would be great. Currently looking at Peavey bandit 112 thats about 100 watts. Thanks.

Guitar amps don't usually cut it for keyboards. But I've had quite a bit of luck using bass amps for keyboards, and keyboard amps for bass. Usually works fine. In fact, sometimes it actually sounds pretty darn good. Of course, it all depends upon the keyboard, the bass, and the particular amp.

Brad

Back in the day before keyboard amps you either used a bass amp or ran direct into the PA. I used a KUSTOM Bass amp back then I upgraded to a Leslie running a SUNN 4 channel mixer thru it. I now use a Fender KXR200 Keyboard amp. I guess you can use a Bass Amp if that's all you have, but I would recommend a keyboard amp.

Cheers,
Ben

Honestly, in that price range, I don't think you're going to see that much difference in sound quality. Just go for the one that has the heaviest duty woofer. You were looking at a Peavey. Can't say I'm familiar with that particular amp, but Peavey usually offers really good bang for the buck. You could certainly do a LOT worse than any Peavey amp that's in your price range.

Brad

i was gonna buy it for about 140 dollars plus shipping, so like probably 170.
Im gonna probably using some nice buzzsaw sounds so im sure itll have the high capcity for it. but any other suggestions would be great

I have a pair of Peavey KB/A 300's. They have a frequency range of 40hz-20khz (30hz-30khz in the power-amp section, which I use via Power-amp in from my L/R mixer mains). They Rock!!! A little midrange heavy at times but not bad. Tons of bottom-end. And one of the loudest keyboard amps to ever grace the Planet-Earth!!! But it is freakin' huge (HEAVY!!!). You might look at the new Peavey KB-Series or the Roland KC Series. I have heard good things about the new Hartke's, and nothing but horror stories about the Alesis and Behringer systems. I would recommend as the ultimate solution, a good PA (Amps, Crossovers, Subs, Fullrange Cabs, etc., etc....).

Believe it or not, the Peavey KB300 is also one of the very best combo amps for bass guitar (in that price range) that I've ever heard. Found that out by entirely by accident, after a bass amp fritzed out on me at a show, and I plugged into one to get through the gig. Which surprised the hell out of me since, during those days, most of their bass amps sounded like crap. (I should probably mention that the quality of their bass amps have improved enormously over the last decade or two.)

Brad
(edited for clarification)

Last edited:
Yup, I have a Peavey Mark VIII head, 1x15 cab, and 4x10 cab. They all rock, and before I bought that rig I used my KB/A 300 (Only had one at the time), as my bass amp. And now that I'm not playing bass full-time anymore, and have focused my full attention back towards my true love...Keyboards :) , if I play an occasional second bass guitar part on a song (Usually a mid-rangey lead), I'll play right through the KB/A 300's. It sure beats carrying 250 lbs of bass rig around (Especially when I already have to carry the KB/A's which top the scales at 87 lbs each).

Back