Ground loop between esq1 and tascam 688

Ryan Tintera

Hello all. I'm getting confused between balanced and unbalanced. if I bought a pyle pro direct box to go between an esq1 and a tascam 688, connecting it stereo I would use 2 x 1/4" TS cables into the pyle pro, right? But what is the best way to come out? Dual TRS or TS? And into the 688 from the pyle pro? Are the line b patches on the 688 balanced or unbalanced? The manual doesn't say. Or would it be better to just go out with two male xlr cables into the 688 and turn the mic trim down? Thanks for any help.

I had a very quick look through a Tascam manual online.

The di box only provides balance out through the XLR outputs. So use those.

On the Tascam, it looks like the B Line is unbalanced in.

I would therefore try the mic inputs on the Tascam. They seem to handle up to 2dBV (about 1.26 volt rms). If the output from the esq 1 is too hot, then use inline pads - maybe -12dB or so.

Hope that helps. Paul

Thanks Paul. One more question. I am also trying to use a FMR RNC with the tascam 688. For insert I out it recommends a stp-201 type cable (Y cable: one TRS into two TS) this is from he RNC handbook:

"Hooking up the RNC to balanced lines with TRS 1/4'' plugs will not work! If the equipment you are connecting the RNC to is balanced, you must first unbalance it and only connect into the RNC with TS 1/4'' plugs."

The inserts cable part that goes into the tascam takes a TRS cable does that mean its a balanced connection? So it won't work?

How do u unbalance a signal?

What does it mean it won't work? It won't compress? It will sound crappy?

How can you tell if something is balanced or not if it doesn't tell you in the manual. I'd like to know if anything besides the xlr connections on the 688 are balanced.

with the tascam 688. For insert I out it recommends a stp-201 type cable (Y cable: one TRS into two TS):
This is correct.

"Hooking up the RNC to balanced lines with TRS 1/4'' plugs will not work! If the equipment you are connecting the RNC to is balanced, you must first unbalance it and only connect into the RNC with TS 1/4'' plugs."
This also makes sense.

The inserts cable part that goes into the tascam takes a TRS cable does that mean its a balanced connection?
No. The Insert jack on the 688 is a TRS-type connector that splits the conductors to 1-In/1-Out/GND, using the specified Y-cable. This allows feeding the inline signal from the 688 out to an effects device, then route the effect-output signal back to the 688, inline to the channel on the same jack. Old School Tascam mixers had a discrete Aux-Out/Aux-In jacks for this purpose. Insert provides In/Out on one connector in Unbalanced configuration.

So it won't work?
Yes, it should work.

How do u unbalance a signal?
A line-amp converter box is the simplest. Some preamps will do a balanced/unbalanced conversion, at the cost of adding an unnecessary preamp stage. However, in this case it doesn't look like you'll need either.

What does it mean it won't work? It won't compress? It will sound crappy?
The required connections may not be made properly. It likely won't work at all, and results will vary but will probably be undesirable, either way.

How can you tell if something is balanced or not if it doesn't tell you in the manual. I'd like to know if anything besides the xlr connections on the 688 are balanced.
The manual tells all. If it's not specific, anything with 2 conductors would be unbalanced. Anything with 3 conductors should specify.

As explained by A Reel Person, your compressor will work correctly with no signal unbalancing required.

Another glance through a scanned Tascam manual I found online indicates that the Tascam channel insert is a standard TRS socket with SEND (unbalanced) on the Tip, and Receive (unbalanced) on the Ring. A TRS to 2 x TS Y-cable will make the connection between Tascam and RNC correctly, and you would just need to establish which of the TS plugs corresponded to Send or Receive.

Got it

Everything with the compressor worked great. Not so great with the Di box. I got a pyle pro and it was making weird noises no matter what setting it was on. While plugged into the balanced mic section of the 688, I had to turn it up so loud that I traded a loud hum for lots of channel noise. It also was making this weird echo. I was reading that old synths don't have enough power to work with passive Di boxes. The esq1 manual says the output is:

1 kOhm output impedance, DC coupled. Line level output into 10 kohms or higher.

Would it be fair to say that the 1 vp-p that one voice puts out or the "all voices 15vp-p" is a relatively weak signal?

Does this mean I need an active box to get rid of the hum? Any recommendations on good active boxes?

Also, part of the problem may be that I live on an army base in Germany and I have 220 and 110 outlets. The 688 is 220 and the esq1 is 110...

Back