Fix loose/baggy output jacks on synth?

Agent47

Dismember
Hi all. I've found on one of my old synths that the output jacks are really 'loose' or baggy - in that when jacks are plugged into them, instead of snapping in and holding firm, they just slide in, and sit in there insecurely. Because of that, the signal is intermittant and drops out at the slightest movement. Both L and R jack outputs are like this.

Is there a quick way of fixing this? Maybe wrapping some foil round the jack plugs to fatten them up? :eek: Or would I need to open her up and replace the output sockets?

Any ideas would be great!

Thanks.

An interesting home remedy idea. Good or not?

1) First of all, go ahead and give your foil idea a try. If it works, then GREAT.

I'd just be careful that the foil does not rip and get stuck inside the hole.

2) Replacing the sockets, I don't think, is really that difficult. 'Not sure if that requires soldering or not. But even if it does... not too hard, I think.

3) If I recall, when you stick a 1/4" plug into a jack, there is a metal bar, bent in such a way as to act like a spring, which holds the plug in place. Or at least aids in the holding of the plug in place.

Try this? After opening your machine, and can see the socket, you should see that metal bar, too. Try bending it a little bit more to make it fit more snugly against the 1/4" plug. You should be able to experiment with your results while the machine remains opened up.

Signed,

By no means an expert!

Thanks. I'll have a fiddle and see what happens. Hopefully the foil'll fix it. If not I'll get out the screwdrivers...

Cheers.

File:Jack-plug--socket-switch.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Jack-plug--socket-switch.jpg

Look at the picture or the link if that doesn't work. This is how your plug fits into the jack. Like Toddskins said, you can just bend the metal prong to make better contact and hold the jack better. I would stay away from the foli. You can short out the tip and sleeve and then you won't hear anything.

Yikes

File:Jack-plug--socket-switch.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Jack-plug--socket-switch.jpg

Look at the picture or the link if that doesn't work. This is how your plug fits into the jack. Like Toddskins said, you can just bend the metal prong to make better contact and hold the jack better. I would stay away from the foli. You can short out the tip and sleeve and then you won't hear anything.

Totally right-on, Washburn. Man... I totally wasn't thinking.

Get that, Agent47? Do NOT use foil. That would be bad.

Thanks guys. I get it - NO foil! :D

I might open her up when I get time. Been a little busy with life stuff this last week.

Back