The Fender Rhodes Sound

AmiJe Tomar

I'm a keyboard player starting to compose and record. Currently I'm using an old iMac (running Snow Leopard), GarageBand '09, a MOTU UltraLite, and an M-Audio Keystation. I've been using GarageBand's grand piano sound, but I'd really like to hear my songs with a Fender Rhodes sound. So, what are my options? I don't have a lot of money to spend (saving up for a new iMac). I don't know if individual sounds are available or whether I would have to buy a package of sounds that includes a good Fender Rhodes.

I've heard there's an instrument called a Nord Stage 2 that is supposed to deliver outstanding keyboard sounds of all kinds, Rhodes included. But for now I guess I'm looking for a software solution.

Thanks very much for the MrRay recommendation. The demos sound great. (I won't be able to use the donationware since it's Windows only.)

This was my first post since joining the HomeRecording site. You've made me feel that I'm in good company here.

GarageBand on the Mac doesn't have an Electric Piano that can be made to sound Rhodes-like? I'm not with my Mac, so can't check myself. But GB on iPad has an Electric Piano instrument... I'd check what you already have, especially if you just want to hear what it might sound like vs. producing a finished track with a truly authentic sounding Rhodes.

J

Check out Lounge Lizard. Having once owned a Fender Rhodes and being a lover of the sound, I can tell you that it's pretty magnifico and you get a Wurlitzer electric piano thrown in too so you get two of the best electric pianos there ever were.

You're right, J! Thank you, my friend. I don't know why I didn't think of that. The Electric Piano sound by itself is pretty bland. But when I add a Phaser and some Track Echo, it approaches the Rhodes sound I had in mind. I'd like to try the MrRay plugin at some point (after I get my new iMac), if only to see how well it can mask the unwanted mechanical noises.

Also looking forward to checking out Lounge Lizard.

The Nord Stage 2 costs nearly twice as much as its cousin, the Nord Electro 4, and offers exactly the same range of electric piano and organ sounds. The main differences are that the Electro will only produce one type of sound at a time (no layers or splits apart from "2-manual" organs), and that the Stage has a programmable polysynth section, whereas the Electro just does pianos (electric, acoustic and Clavinet) and organs (Hammond B3, Farfisa and Vox Continental). I have an Electro 3 which I use mostly for Wurlitzer piano and Hammond sounds.

Thank you for your input, Simon. I will keep it in mind. Funny you should mention Farfisa. It was my first portable keyboard - gigged with it throughout high school.

Last edited:
Back