Favourite electric piano sound

Favourite type of electric piano sound...

• Total voters
Although my first keyboard (back in 1980) was a Hohner Pianet T, I have always been a huge fan of the Wurlitzer sound. During the 1980s and 1990s I tried to get something approaching that sound using synths, then about 10 years ago I got a lot closer using a Casio WK-3000. The band I'm in actually bought a vintage Wurly EP-200, and I gigged with it for a few years, but it was really too fragile, heavy and temperamental for live work. Two years ago we retired it, to be replaced by my current keyboard, a Nord Electro 3 73, which gives me a very similar sound and playing experience to the real thing.

I love the Wurlitzer, Fender Rhodes and Yamaha electric piano sounds that were in common usage from 1959 {Ray Charles' "What'd I say ?"} through to about 1979 {Eddy Grant's "Walking on sunshine"}. I also like the Hohner clavinet sounds from the early to mid 70s.

I didn't vote, because I don't have favourites. Each of the pianos in the poll has a distinctive sound, and each will therefore have a place in a song where that sound is just what is needed.

I have created a website, "Simon's Hall of Electric Pianos" which details most electric pianos commercially produced from the late 1920s to the present day (I really need to update it...)

Exactly which electric piano have you found that was produced in the 1920's?! This will be big news to me. Or is this a reference to a conventional piano with some type of amplification added?

I've had numerous Wurlitzers, Clavs and Rhodes over the years, starting in the early 60's. Hauling them around kept me in shape (such as I was...). Don't want to do that anymore.

Can't pick a favorite sound - depends on what I'm goin' for.

You should add the choice, "Like 'em all."

Edit: Whoa! I just saw how old this thread is! Oh well... no one can accuse me of being up to date.

Back