Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: fatar vmk "dead notes"

Thanks

continued

Sign in to disable this ad
    more pictures....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sany0045-jpg   sany0046-jpg   sany0047-jpg   sany0048-jpg  
    likes Fatar

Thanks

continued pix and some text

Note the metal stiffener brackets with the black screw in the middle. The address a problem with this unit: key-down pressure pushes against the pc board that holds the rubber contact velocity switch-sensor. If the pc board bows away from the pressure source the velocity sensed will be to low.

Remember I noted loss of velocity from about C5 to A6? Well, the two stiffeners associated have stripped threads.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sany0049-jpg   sany0050-jpg   sany0051-jpg   sany0052-jpg  
    likes Fatar

Thanks

continued

Notice how the little connector works here.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sany0053-jpg   sany0054-jpg   sany0055-jpg   sany0056-jpg  
    likes Fatar

Thanks

continued

Notice the head of the Red screwdriver. It is right next to my original dead note, F3. I show a view of this rubber contact from a few angles. Note the 'goo' (best seen in the preceding post).

Also shown is how the action works. The moving part is of heavy sheet metal not plastic. May be iron.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sany0057-jpg   sany0059-jpg   sany0061-jpg   sany0062-jpg  
    likes Fatar

Thanks

continued

Here is more on the action.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sany0063-jpg   sany0064-jpg   sany0065-jpg   sany0066-jpg  
    likes Fatar

Thanks

Final with pix

Also, here are some views as I was removing the old contacts and replacing them. More 'goo' is visible here.

This is tedious work. We must assure the new contacts are firmly flat and flush with the pc board.

OK, End. I hope this helps other users.

I have a plan to fix the regulation, without goo, via software. More later.

Regards to all.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sany0067-jpg   sany0070-jpg   sany0071-jpg   sany0072-jpg  
    likes Fatar

Thanks

One More Thing

I mentioned a fix for the regulation problem. Actually there are two. In my own case I found two or three of the support brackets (with black screw in pix) have one mounting screw that is stripped out. It's the one that is within the area of the moving key weight-arms.

Ok, that's the first thing to fix. I'll be looking for some liquid product to squirt into the stripped out thread holes. I assume there are some.

The second thing is to use software to balance out all the velocities. More later.

If you aren't familiar with regulation- it's a process used on acoustic pianos to get each note to sound with the same loudness for the same note striking force. Like if you were to play a chromatic run from one end of the keyboard to the other. You want each successive note to sound with the same volume- given that you are pressing each with the same force (or weight as in weight-technique). Regulation has to be done for each individual instrument. All pianos, and some synths like Fatar, need regulation no matter how fine they are.

Cheers!
    likes Fatar

Thanks

Red face Best thread ever!

This is a wonderful thread, I'm having problems with my Fatar VMK too and its a good thing to know that there's a spare parts available.
    My problem is that sometimes the notes get "stuck". the key never sends "note off" message when released. This has started bugging me in the last 2 months more and more so I'm figuring the contacts must be wearing out or that they are dirty. The stuck note goes away sometimes with a new press and release of a key but sometimes it needs some good hitting before it releases the note. Lucky me the new contacts aren't expensive and there's a healthy stock of them available for purchase at The Midi Store

I'm also waiting to start the work of figuring out the "cross-talk" between the connected pedals in this keyboard, many have reported it and since I'm pretty capable electrician, I figured that I could resolve that issue and maybe make a post on this forum about the possible solution if I succeed.
    Last edited by Icchan^; 03-18-2013 at 14:26.

Thanks
    @ Icchan,

Did you solve the problems you mention here? I have not heard of pedal crosstalk. Don't know if have experienced it.

By the way, I am about to do the whole contact replacement job again. It's been 4 years and they have worn out.
    likes Fatar

Thanks
    Thanks very much for sharing this experience. I'm planning to replace the contacts on my VMK-188 to fix several dead notes and also look at the pitch mod joy stick which is sending random pitch bend data making it totally unusable. Wish me luck!

Thread Information