Fantom or RD-700sx or Yamaha PS1500 w/??

sax_fan

I'm still on the hunt for a keyboard for recording/fun/learning. For those who haven't read my other posts, I am not a keyboard player. These are the things I'm currently thinking about --subject to change with the direction of the wind :rolleyes: Your input on this, as always, is appreciated.

(1) Fantom X8 -- does everything, but probably has more than I need. No sure that I would use sampling or onboard sequencer and I'm not much into tweaking sounds. Should a non-keyboard player even think about something like this?

(2) RD-700SX -- simple to use, nice feel. May need an expansion board to get a greater variety of sounds. By the time I add an expansion board or 2 price is getting around that of the Fantom.

(3) Yamaha PSR 1500 plus a 88 weighted key digital piano or controller -- I know the yamaha isn't in the same caliber as the other two, above, but it has nice sounds, is simple to use, the auto accompany feature is lots of fun and as longs as I've got a nice controller or piano (maybe a Yamaha P90?) the 61 keys aren't an issue. Downside is that I have to have two keyboards for what I might be able to do with one.

(4) Other options?

SF

Last edited:
Ivercaut,

thanks for that. I guess my issue is that keyboard isn't my main instrument -- I'm getting a little better but my ability is clearly limited. So, I wonder whether I am way out of my league on some of this stuff. I just don't know if I will be able to use it (or anything similar) to its potential.

sax_fan, if you are looking for a keyboard that's fun to play, give v-synth a try. i can't stop dancing with the arpeggios. and it has so many realtime controllers that even if you are not a keyboardist, you'll feel like one if you just fool around with them. and not to mention, it's a very powerful synth.

-shami

huh.. just some inputs here
S90 will be the best controler, but u need the new piano plugin to get that better piano sound
4assignable sliders/ aftertouch/ breath controler input

RD700sx has the bestsounding piano, keys are a bit too light, and one if the rd700sxs i tried is really light, so try before by, and so as the S90, keys feel different from units
i have rd300sx (heavier action~ i like it!) by the way, i'm considering getting the s90... if i can pay for the differences

Back