Effects pedals recommendations for Wurlitzer elec. piano

analog_freak

I have a late-1970s Wurlitzer electric piano, still in wonderful shape, and am looking for an effects pedal or two, especially some sort of modulation. The built-in vibrato is fine at times, but mostly a little too fast. Can anyone make a recommendation or two of effects pedals that sound good with either the Wurlitzer or the Rhodes Stage piano? I like the suitcase Rhodes "ping-pong" sound, and also Zawinul's cool mid-1970s modulation effects with the Rhodes stage piano.

Thanks!

Phaser/flanger/chorus are nice staples too; maybe one of the newer digi guitar multi's like the rp 250? quite a bit for the money... Steve

I like an old MXR Phase 90 with my '78 Rhodes Stage 73. The Danelectro Pepperoni phaser is actually a very inexpensive reproduction of the same circuit and just about almost as good for a lot less cash. The adjustment knob has limited use on the Pepperoni but you can get some nice tones if you dial it in carefully. They should work fine with a Wurli.

I tried a couple guitar multi-effects units (one from Alesis springs to mind) with the Rhodes but they did not work as well with the electric piano. I think it has something to do with the difference in pickups between a guitar and the Rhodes. With the Rhodes I got a lot more noise to the point where some effects were unusable. I prefer to go the old-school route with my Rhodes and use only those effects boxes I want.

if the built in tremolo ("vibrato") is too fast for you the speed can be easily changed. there's a screw at the bottom by the output jacks that you can turn, I think. I've never used it cause i like it as it is. but mine was already heavily modified when I got it so it had probably been played with. but you can definitely change the speed. I recommend having a compressor pedal with the wurli as a basic necessity for good tone.

Find a Leslie 145 or 147 (the 147 is a little taller and has more bass response). Perfect match with electric piano (think Billy Preston).

Back