Do VST's support aftertouch?

bruuen

i know this sounds like a newb question...but i'm using an array of softsynths with my m-audio radium controller, but don't have the luxory of hearing aftertouch...i'm using cubase and made sure the aftertouch setting wasn't checked to be bypassed. any help on this sinario?

I took a quick look at the specs for this controller, and there was no mention of aftertouch. Are you sure this keyboard supports aftertouch? You might want to try playing with aftertouch via one of the controller knobs or sliders.

Also, it's a tad difficult to tell whether your soft synths support aftertouch when you don't tell us which ones you use.

The Radium does have aftertouch, but it is transmitted as a fixed value for each keystroke (value is set via data entry mode). Not very intuitive.

Some VST's support aftertouch, some don't. Refer to your documentation, or give more specifics.

thanks for the reply guys...i use a few stienberg vst's such as 'hypersonic' 'xphase' and i aslo use 'albino' 'refx vanguard' 'novation bassline' and last but not least 'rgc audio z3ta.'

i don't quite get your definition on how the aftertouch works on the radium opposed to normal aftertouch...thanks

Atterion said:
Don't use any of those. Though Albino and z3ta are on my short list of plugins I still want to get.

get z3ta...you will not be disappointed...very very nice sounds, and sound shaping parameters. not to start this long debate again...but i think vst's are really starting to press hardware synths for their money these days...in the early days i wasn't very impressed, but theres some great stuff out there making me even wonder if i really want to blow $3-4000 on a new synth...but in regards to my first comment, aftertouch is a huge factor that i'm missing not being able to produce right now.

Actually the Radium does not have aftertouch. It has velocity. Aftertouch is applied by a slider on the Radium. Not very musical.
Velocity sensing is how hard you play the note from one strike to the next. It is a form of modulation (usually called brightness)
Aftertouch is the pressure that is applied after the note is struck and the key is held down.
Polyphonic aftertouch is where each key has it's own sensor so you could modulate one note out of a chord. AFAIK only Ensoniq(R.I.P.) had that feature in their keyboards.

Most new controllers out there don't have aftertouch.
The Novation controllers DO have aftertouch.
The new Alesis Photons DO have aftertouch.
The new EMU controllers DO have aftertouch.
The new KORGs DO NOT have aftertouch. (Though the pads do, go figure).
All Evolution and MAudio controllers DO NOT have aftertouch. It's a shame the the Keystation 88 does not, what a waste of weighted keys.

As a classically trained player who is deep into synthesis, aftertouch is a must for expressive playing.
One negative side effect of beat looped music is that the products that cater to them (25, 37, 49 key controllers) mostly do not have aftertouch.
I need a smaller keyboard to play synth parts, and I do not feel like carrying 2 full sized boards to a gig. That's why I'n excited to see how the EMU and Alesis feel.
Most softsynths worth their weight in salt can be programmed to respond to aftertouch. It should be available as a modulation parameter.

HTH,
Prana

very informative reply pranaearth...thank you!

i just checked out the novation remote :eek: wow, what a nice controller that is...i think thats the best one i've seen on the market so far...i think i'm going to save up and look into that within the next year or so

the m-audio keystation 88 is nice...but i played the keys and omg, they are plastic peices of shit...it feels like a casio toy for $100 that you buy your kids....awful. whats the point in trying to emulate a piano when it feels like that?

Last edited:
pranaearth said:
Actually the Radium does not have aftertouch. It has velocity. Aftertouch is applied by a slider on the Radium.
That's what I was referring too. I was wrong in stating that an actual aftertouch value is transmitted with each keystroke after adjusting it via slider. So I guess it would be synth specific as to wheter after a new value is recieved by that synth, it retains that value as the new default value until new values are obtained from the Radium. I think this would be more to the point with synths that feature a dedicated control for after-touch that could be mapped to controllers on the Radium, as fraserhutch mentioned earlier. I have recommended the use of a foot-controller for after-touch before in these forums (I use a Behringer FCB-1010, the only Behringer product that I'll say is worthy of praise). I have mine setup to do program changes, and each program can have the 2 expression pedals freely assigned different controller data (i.e PR1=Aft.Touch/Vol., PR2=Mod./Vol., PR3=Aft.Touch/Mod, etc.). It is definitely easier to change those values with your feet if your hands are busy.

Actually I made a mistake, doing a little more research, the new Ozonic from Maudio does indeed have aftertouch. However it is also an audio device as well. GGrr. If they made the Ozonic without audio I would be all over that! (That jotstick would be great for controlling my Legacy Wavestation).

P

pranaearth said:
Actually I made a mistake, doing a little more research, the new Ozonic from Maudio does indeed have aftertouch. However it is also an audio device as well. GGrr. If they made the Ozonic without audio I would be all over that! (That jotstick would be great for controlling my Legacy Wavestation).

P

so, just don't use the ozonic sound part, use something else and use the ozonic midi functions

edzo said:
so, just don't use the ozonic sound part, use something else and use the ozonic midi functions

Huh???? :confused:

$600 for 3 octaves and not use the Firewire Audio Interface functionality??

Obviously you don't live in the same world we do. Must be nice to just spend money like that...

Back