Do I really need a keyboard?

luizfvpereira

Hello everyone :)

I currently own a Yamaha Clavinova CVP301. I have that for about 8 years I think and it has a really good sound and lots of presets and capabilities.
I Wanna start "creating music" and I'm not sure if that's a good "keyboard" for recording tracks.
Can anyone tell me if I can use my old friend or do I need some kind of special keyboard to record instruments/tracks?

Thanks for the time spent reading this.
Luís Pereira

It has a MIDI out so you can use it as a MIDI controller for software instruments. Since you like the sounds on it as well, that's just a plus. Stick with what you've got until you find a limitation you simply can't work around (or don't want to work around)

It should be just fine. A true controller has a pitch bend and modulation wheel, as well as easy ways to change channels and programs. However, the latter is easily done in a DAW and, if you don't need pitch bending modulation, then your Yamaha will work just fine. For what it's worth, I use a Yamaha digital piano (with weighted keyboard) for 99.9% of my recording needs, and on those rare occasions when I need a true controller, I use an m-audio 88 key keyboard controller.

Well in most sounds I can choose I can use the left pedal for pitch modulation. Only piano and few other sounds dont have this option (because the pedal is required for other things).

Well in most sounds I can choose I can use the left pedal for pitch modulation. Only piano and few other sounds dont have this option (because the pedal is required for other things).
The question is whether the left pedal transmits MIDI controls. The sounds in your piano don't get sent to the DAW by MIDI.

Back