Digital piano recording without a PC

chwarren

Hi,

I want to record from the line-out of my Avantgrand to create .wav files that I can then master with Audacity etc. and then upload to Soundcloud etc.

I cannot however record directly with Audacity because the laptop is also running a VST that I use to create a mix with the Avantgrand sound - and the VST takes over the sound card. Using this PC would also cause problems with latency.

So I need the cheapest way of digitally recording the output - but there seems to be nothing out there except handhelds recorders or expensive studio gear. Anyone got any recommendations?

Why not just use an app that records the output of the computer - like people who record from Spotify or youtube do? Soundflower on Mac, or a roxio app is what I use on Mac and PC? Works fine.

The easiest way would be to load the VST into a DAW, then do the recording.

I don't know how Audacity works, but you can do it many other DAWs. I use Reaper which does that fine.

The Avangrand outputs MIDI, and as far as I can determine from Yamaha, there is no audio output apart from the analogue outputs. So if you are going into a computer and are using a stand alone piano VSTi - then the only direct way to generate a digital audio file is to do what I suggested and use and app that records the output from your sound card direct to digital. However, that's clunky - so the easiest thing is to invest in one of the cut down sequencers, that will be able to handle your VSTi, and add all the usual sequencing tools, plus loads of extra sounds. Cubase elements/artiste - that kind of thing but loads of them about. Most have limited time downloads for demoing them. Latency can be a pain on systems that use a bog standard audio card, and as a pianist, you might simply not be able to play with that kind of delay when you press a note. Most music quality interfaces have special drivers that make the latency manageable and these run from fifty pounds or so upwards and add mic inputs as a bonus.

I can't record the output from the PC because that output is routed back through the Avantgrand. I then used to record the mixed output from the Avantgrand via Audacity on another PC, which has now died. I can try Reaper, but I suspect that even with ASIO I'll find there's then too much lag between the VST output and the Avantgrand output. This is all getting too complicated! - I suppose I'll have to get another PC. (Have got an old Sony Vaio, but there's no line-in - just mic input)

Plug in to a handheld digital recorder with stereo line input and copy the file(s) to your pc for editing after you are done?

You've got your system totally too complicated. Are you using the Avantgrand to record then? Seems a very strange setup. Surely if you use a VSTi based piano sound, then the obvious workflow is simply to use the Avantgrand as a master keyboard. You just need proper software that has a real interface so you can, if you wish record external sounds - which could be the avantgrand if you really wanted. There seems no point in using it as the VSTi will no doubt sound better than the piano sound the Avantgrand has - which was never hugely realistic.

The mix of N2 + VST creates a better immersive sound, and there are also benefits with the sustain pedal and touch. So it's the resulting sound - N2 +VST - that I need to record from the line-out of the N2 (after the VST has been fed into the N2 system).

I will either then get another cheap second-hand laptop to record, or a handheld recorder.

Thanks for all the advice. I know it's somewhat complicated set up, but the results have been worth it.

Incidentally, the sound from the VST (Pianoteq) is simply not good enough alone (certainly not with the soundcard in my laptop anyway)

Interesting = Pianteq I've found is excellent and more realistic than some real Grands I've recorded - the Steinways, for example - work amazingly well. It also responds properly to the pedals - half pedal and clever stuff. I suspect you would really benefit from a proper interface and not the internal ten quids worth of sound chips most PCs seem to have onboard.

Get a real DAW. That way you can run the VSTi while recording the sound from your keyboard. Then you can mix them later, since they will be on separate tracks.

You are making it complicated by using audacity for something it was never intended to do.

Yeah, that's said many times now by many people. Was even my first reaction in #3.
Then he could even simultaneously record an extra clean track to edit/double or whatever other fun tricks.

Perhaps he sticks to audacity as he doesn't know the benefits of a DAW and perhaps is afraid to step into it. I could imagine that, although the step to make is much smaller then many people think. I remember i was slightly reservedly then too, but very happy i did as HR-Nirvana opened for me and i still discover unknown corners and doors each time.
I guess he would go over right away if he knew he can do exactly what he does now but easier, and how much more options and posibilities next to that it will bring him. :listeningmusic:

At the end it is his decision and i will respect that.

Methinks you're spot on Alterman!

Now you know what I'm after, can you give a simple recommendation for what I need to buy?

Thx.

Back