Digital Piano Recording (what the f*** is going on?)

gavinsco

Ok, so I have a Korg SP Digital piano, with both 3.5mm output jacks connected to an M -Audio Interface via 2 3.5mm jack to xlr connectors and the Audio Interface is connected via USB to the computer. All the components word fine on their own, but when I record, I get the sounds I have attached. The AI is showing a constant max input volume as well. The 'no notes' file is just the white noise it records, and I'm sure you know what a C major scale is.
View attachment C major scale.mp3
View attachment No notes.mp3

Oh, and consider turning your speakers down when playing the C major scale....

Are the 3.5mm jack ends TS or TRS? How are they wired to the XLR (sleeve to pin 1, tip to pin 2, ring?)? Which M-Audio interface? Does the interface have line or instrument inputs you can use instead of the XLR inputs?

3.5's are balanced TRS, don't know how they're wired, this is the interface: (M-Audio M-Track Two-channel Portable USB Audio/MIDI 118892 B&H) and it has 6.3mm inputs, but I have just discovered that the interface has decided it doesn't want to play. With no inputs connected, it is showing a full input signal on the actual device itself, and the only way I can get a response on the computer is by tapping the microphone. Any other sounds don't get through no matter how loud. Tested with xlr to xlr and xlr to 6.3mm jack. I will continue testing and update you soon....ish.

Update - after some research, it turns out that the interface is gubbed. so, off to buy a new one but if anyone knows why the piano did the weird noises, please do tell, I would still quite like to record it.

Are the 3.5mm outputs you're referring to the headphone outputs? To use a headphone output you will need a splitter to separate the stereo connector to a pair of mono connectors. It should be possible to get a cable with a single 3.5mm stereo plug on one end and two 6.3mm mono plugs on the other end.

Or are there some other 3.5mm outputs? Which Korg SP do you have?

don't know which SP you have but on the SP280 the manual says there are 3 outputs .... 1 headphone out and two TS outs ...... not TRS.

Yea, it's the KORG SP-170SBK which has 2 3.5mm outputs, I assumed they were both channels of the stereo output, but if not, would that create the level of distortion heard in the clips? I would have though it would be just like recording the same thing twice.

Yea, it's the KORG SP-170SBK which has 2 3.5mm outputs, I assumed they were both channels of the stereo output, but if not, would that create the level of distortion heard in the clips? I would have though it would be just like recording the same thing twice.
well, depending on how the interface is set-up it could be possible that you were kinda running two outs into each other as well as into the interface.
Maybe that could cause it if they're essentially shorted to each other.
Try just one and see what happens.

I'm pretty sure the main problem was connecting a stereo output to a balanced input.

Back