Difference between MIDI Controller and regular Keyboard

seansigep

I cant tell what to get. I want to learn to play the piano, but also use it in some recordings. looking to spend up to 300.

Thanks in advance!

Scogs

A regular keyboard can have midi in/out which translates to the keyboard being a midi controler. you dont need midi to record. you can record the midi and you can also record the audio but you will not have the midi controls and options if you record through the audio . For a little more cash you can get a Yamaha S03. They run about $400 or so. It will have midi.

seansigep said:
I cant tell what to get. I want to learn to play the piano, but also use it in some recordings.

Responding to your question, a MIDI controller is basically a keyboard with MIDI capabilities but with no onboard sounds. e.g. the hardware (shell, key-bed, buttons, etc) but with no internal sounds and hence, no audio output. The only thing they do is, as you play the keys or push control buttons, it sends MIDI messages to any external MIDI-capable sound module or equipment from which the sound is supposed to come. That's why they are called "controllers", as that's the only thing they do.

A regular keyboard is... well you know.... a regular keyboard.... pretty much a MIDI controller but with an internal sound generation engine and audio output, so you play the keys and sound is produced from its internal electronics. At the same time, almost all keyboards include standard, since some time ago, MIDI capability, allowing you to use them as controllers as well or simply to produce MIDI data from your playing that can be recorded by an external sequencer, for instance.

Hope this helps.

You're probably better off getting a regular keyboard. The GM (General MIDI) standard allows you to have 128 sounds on GM Level 1 (GM1) and 256 on GM Level 2 (GM2). Chances are that a $300 keyboard will be GM2 compatible. If you were to get a MIDI controller, you would only be able to use the GM sound bank that's included in your MIDI software. In my opinion, GM sounds are not too great. Getting a regular keyboard would allow you to use the GM sound bank as well as the sounds on the keyboard.

Also, you can record the sounds on the keyboard by connecting the output of the board to the input of your computer's sound card or audio interface. This would allow you to record your keyboard as audio. Actually, if you have both an audio and MIDI interface (there are many models that combine the two), you can record as both audio and MIDI, giving you the best of both worlds, so to speak.

I would suggest looking into a Yamaha keyboard. They offer very good priced boards with high quality voices (sounds). And you'll love the Yamaha stereo sampled piano!

I would only suggest getting a MIDI controller if you need to do a lot of physical controlling. The knobs and buttons are assignable, letting you program the function of each.

Well, if I get a controller, and have FruityLoops, will that work? I have read that fruityloops is a synth module. Sorry if I am wrong, I feel retarded about this stuff. I found a midi controller on MF and its like $160, and the keys are semi weighted (which is something that I am really interested in). As far as regular keyboards go, I want something with a realistic sound if i get one. I recently went out and bought 2 radioshack models, both of which sounded like a donkey's ass crack. They were crap, and not worth what I payed for them, even WITH the employee discount.

Also, I dont have a midi plug on my soundcard (its a dell with just 3 inputs; Soundmax i think). Anyone recommend a soundcard under 75 bux?

Thanks so much,

Scogs

Your best bet is to go to a local music store and check out the keyboards for yourself. Talk to some of the salespeople and see what they think.

As far as sound cards go, you don't really need a new one unless you want better sound quality. A MIDI controller has a USB port on the back which lets your connect it to a USB port on your computer via a USB cabel. The controller converts the MIDI messages into a form that can be transfered through USB, just like a MIDI interface.

I really hope someone is still reading this thread --my question is a very simple newbie one:

Why would I want to purchase a MIDI keyboard when i can get a fully functional 88-key casio with midi interface? Would it not be doing the same thing AND functioning as a toy at the same time? I want to start recording my own scores for films and dance tunes and I'm assuming all I need is a keyboard with MIDI interface and a macbook (and a little tiny bit of creativity)--am i wrong here? All replies will be cherished. Thank you.

I really hope someone is still reading this thread --my question is a very simple newbie one:

Why would I want to purchase a MIDI keyboard when i can get a fully functional 88-key casio with midi interface? Would it not be doing the same thing AND functioning as a toy at the same time? I want to start recording my own scores for films and dance tunes and I'm assuming all I need is a keyboard with MIDI interface and a macbook (and a little tiny bit of creativity)--am i wrong here? All replies will be cherished. Thank you.

Whatever you want to use is fine. It's just a controller and as long as it suits your needs, there's no problem. For me, I like two wheels on the left like my Evolution keyboard has... some keyboards don't have that. All the M-Audio keyboards I know of function as a MIDI interface. All you need is a USB cable between your computer and keyboard. If your keyboard has USB you don't need a MIDI interface. For sounds you can use a keyboard with sounds in it, an external MIDI module, or software synths.

Good MIDI controllers have keyboards that mimic real piano type key feel. Many real keyboard players need this type of feel to play well.

Cheap controllers, just for the sake of controllers are concerned, are just stripped down synths as others say above.

If all you need is a MIDI controller than pretty much any cheap synth will do. Just stay away from anything from the 80s.

for $225 I bought a JV-1080 and a mint Roland S-50 (with 20 discs) to trigger it....and have already expanded the JV...in fact the $75 would buy you or go towards an expansion card on ebay...thats better than anything you'll get for $300 new imho

look around..there are bargains out there

Good MIDI controllers have keyboards that mimic real piano type key feel. Many real keyboard players need this type of feel to play well.

Cheap controllers, just for the sake of controllers are concerned, are just stripped down synths as others say above.

If all you need is a MIDI controller than pretty much any cheap synth will do. Just stay away from anything from the 80s.

not sure about staying away from the 80's my AX7 is weighted and has a nice feel...I even use a couple of the sounds on it...definitely feels better than my PCR..in fact the S-50 feels better than the PCR...feels as good as the axiom I used to have

if your going to buy an 80s synth just make sure it was high end for its time..then I think you'll generally be OK..but try it first, you've nothing to lose

Back