Compact synth

mcmac74

Hi

I'm looking for a synth at least half the size of a full keyboard. I don't really need a big integrared software package to go with it, just a good array of sounds and effects. I'd just be recording via a line in so nothing too techy. Any suggestions under £120 please. I'm not averse to buying used.

If it is just for recording, I suggest a controller and a DAW something like Reaper or what ever your preference. Make sure it supports VSTi plug ins, which most do. Then go find a plug in or plug ins to do your recording. That is much more versatile than a stand alone synth.

If you do that, you just have to get your MIDI set up and learn how to work with your DAW. No line ins required.

I'm just messing about with the options on bandlab which led me to thinking I'd just rather have a bit of hardware I can play. I loaded a couple of synths in the midi section but they don't make a sound unless you programme them into the DAW and play back. That's no good to me if you want to experiment with sounds and song structure as you play along to the track....or perhaps I'm not using it correctly...midi synths are completely new to me.

I think you are not using correctly. I don't know band lab, but usually the DAW will have some sort of live input. On mine I either arm it, or I just use in. I sometimes spend hours finding the sound I want, that would be pretty tiresome recording and then listening as the sound actually gives you an idea on how you want to record it.

Look up the instructions or research it, but if you have a controller, then use that and figure out how to use it live. I am 99.9% sure it will do that. Plus you will have the added benefit to record something, then add more layers to it. Your loops and more!

What is monitoring? – BandLab Help Center

You were right...hadn't set the synth to monitor in playback. ..now if I can just get over the fact that the keys are laid out over four pages! Thanks ?

Back