Cheap synth for Piano sounds?

Punce

A friend of mine has asked me to find him a synth, for no more than £200 (GBP) less if possible, 2nd hand is acceptable.

He's mainly after a good piano sound, but others would come in handy.

I recommended the Yamaha SY85 off the top of my head, but it would be great for some other suggestions if at all possible.

Thanks

The piano sounds on some of the Yamaha PSR series "consumer level" keyboards are not bad. I just stumbled on a used PSR330 $10 - although I would think they would normally sell more in the $75 range. Since there are so many PSR series around, I would think you could find something used.

I was surprised at how decent the piano sounds are (and a couple of very decent organs as well), although the rest of the synth sounds are pretty weak. The feel is not the greatest - but very few (if any) low cost synths can offer a decent "piano feel".

I agree with mikeh - the Yamaha PSR piano (andsome organ, flute, trumpet and tenorsax) sounds are pretty decent. I use a PSR275.

Of course, there is always the option of using the keyboard as a MIDI controller to trigger softsynths on the PC. Some amazingly decent sounds available for free out there.

The only PSR's I used was years ago, and all presets sounded the same (if you know what I mean) and had those annoying hold one finger down on a note for a full ensemble with tacky drums and bassline. Have they moved on from there?

Punce said:
A friend of mine has asked me to find him a synth, for no more than £200 (GBP) less if possible, 2nd hand is acceptable.
He's mainly after a good piano sound, but others would come in handy.
I recommended the Yamaha SY85 off the top of my head, but it would be great for some other suggestions if at all possible. Thanks

For even less then mentioned sum can purchase you a superb piano.
To many people adorable and very much used even today : Roland U220

Superb piano samples, very good synth sounds.

If you are lucky, your friend could departure from even half of the sum.

These days people don't appreciate (naturally not all) modules like these so
expect a bargain and permanent smile on your friend's face while playing that piano ;)

Back