Can a usual keyboard play VST under a DAW?

scdaymon

Hi there friends…

Is it possible for a YAMAHA PSR-E223 (a normal keyboard) with a midi cable, to be connected to a pc and work under a DAW (REAPER in my case) with VST’s?
I was thinking about buying a Midi Keyboard, but it is easy and inexpensive for me to buy a keyboard like YAMAHA PSR-E223. I know that that keyboard does have a midi connection, but I never heard of anyone using this kind of gear to play VST’s under a DAW.
Have you heard about it?
Is it even possible?
How does it work? Do you connect the midi cable from the keyboard to an audio interface (mine is ALESIS IO2 Express) or do you connect it directly to the computer usb port?
Please, advise me on this one guys.

Thanks in advance :thumbs up:

Ps: This is the YAMAHA PSR-E223

PSR-E233 - Teclados portáteis - Yamaha - Portugal

Most of the time they will say 'General MIDI' on them if they can be used as a midi keyboard. If it says that you can use the midi cable or USB. If you want to use usb just dowload the drivers for that keyboard on the internet and you should be good to go

So, as I understood it: it should work to plug to the computer and record the sounds (banks/voices/patches whatever) it originally brings, but however it will not work as a midi controller for vst's such as Sonatina Symphonic Orchestra (for instance)?

So, as I understood it: it should work to plug to the computer and record the sounds (banks/voices/patches whatever) it originally brings, but however it will not work as a midi controller for vst's such as Sonatina Symphonic Orchestra (for instance)?

You should be able to do both.

You can record the sounds it originally brings by recording the keyboard's audio.

You can use the keyboard's midi to drive a VST.

Just a quick heads-up: Some of those lower-end keyboards don't have velocity-sensitive keys, meaning you can't play with dynamics on the keyboard; everything comes out sounding the same volume. I'd double check the velocity-sensitive capabilities for that keyboard before buying. Otherwise, it looks great!

Thanks to you all guys…

I guess I’ll really go for it. I’m pretty sure that the keyboard doesn’t have “velocity-sensitive keys”, killing a lot of dynamic while playing. However, if I choose to record from the keyboard I should be able to work that dynamic in the mixing phase (just by playing around with the volume and with reverb), and if I play VST’s I should be able to work the dynamic in the midi sequencer.
Sure I would prefer to have it all in the keyboard interface, but this Yamaha comes at a great price, it’s supposed to be a great keyboard, and plus… I’m able to buy it in phased payments!
From what I read, I cannot connect it to the Alesis. I will need to buy a midi cable to connect the keyboard to the computer usb port.
I may, however and in the meanwhile, record through the microphone pointed at the keyboard speakers! :D

After the purchase I’ll come here to share some ideas about the keyboard!

Once again, thank you all for the help…

:thumbs up:

Last edited:
I use a PSR-520 via Midi/USB cable to play VSTi and Synths and it works really well.

Only downfall with your keyboard would be the non touch sensitive keys. You can adjust the velocity for each note in the midi editor, it just might take some time doing lots of notes.

From what I read, I cannot connect it to the Alesis. I will need to buy a midi cable to connect the keyboard to the computer usb port.

The Alesis has MIDI in/out ports, so you can most definitely plug the keyboard into the Alesis. Just use a single MIDI cable and take MIDI out from the keyboard into the MIDI in on your Alesis interface. It should work just fine.

You dont need to record the audio with a mic. Just use a 1/4 inch cable, one end plugs into the alesis and the other end plugs into the audio output/headphone output on the keyboard

The Alesis has MIDI in/out ports, so you can most definitely plug the keyboard into the Alesis. Just use a single MIDI cable and take MIDI out from the keyboard into the MIDI in on your Alesis interface. It should work just fine.

I just check and God damn it… this thing really comes with the MIDI in/out (I have the Alesis almost about 1 year now, and I never notice this!!! :facepalm: ).
Probably the single midi cable will be cheaper than the Midi-USB, and that would be a plus.

You dont need to record the audio with a mic. Just use a 1/4 inch cable, one end plugs into the alesis and the other end plugs into the audio output/headphone output on the keyboard

That is a very simple and ready to go idea. And probably it works better (it will sound better) than recording the keyboard sounds with the mic).
Guess the only downfall is not being able to drive VST’s.

Ps: And well, the “non touch sensitive keys” really sucks! But I can’t afford a better keyboard now.
It’ll take much time, and it’ll be hard to do… but I’ll get there.

Thanks again for all your ideas.
This is really an awesome place to learn.

:)

That is a very simple and ready to go idea. And probably it works better (it will sound better) than recording the keyboard sounds with the mic).
Guess the only downfall is not being able to drive VST’s.

You can still drive VSTs.

The 'simple and ready to go idea' is great for recording audio.

You can connect the keyboard to the interface with a midi cable, then record the midi onto a midi track.

In fact, you can do both simultaneously.

What I have done in the past is play the keyboard and record the midi. I then go in and edit the midi (i.e. removing my numerous mistakes). I then play the midi back through the keyboard (going in the other direction), and record the audio, which is now mistake free.

Or I decide that maybe I like the sound of a VST better than the keyboard, so I use the recorded midi to drive a VST.

gecko zzed... I still think you can't drive VST's through a 1/4 inch cable linked to the keyboard and to the audio interface (I guess that was the "ready-to-go" idea that the the-music-man was talking about).
However, it will be the easiest way to record the keyboard sounds (we all have 1/4 inch cables around, and also they're very cheap!).

I then play the midi back through the keyboard (going in the other direction), and record the audio, which is now mistake free.

What do you mean by playing the midi back through the keyboard?! Does that mean that a midi file contained in a DAW track can be played “automatically” through the keyboard? And also: do you record it as an external instrument?
If so… after editing and cleaning the mistakes, wouldn’t be simple and easy to convert the midi to “wav” (or even other file extension) than to record it all over again?

gecko zzed... I still think you can't drive VST's through a 1/4 inch cable linked to the keyboard and to the audio interface (I guess that was the "ready-to-go" idea that the the-music-man was talking about).
That is correct. But you can hook up a midi cable and an audio cable and do both.

What do you mean by playing the midi back through the keyboard?! Does that mean that a midi file contained in a DAW track can be played “automatically” through the keyboard?
Well, nearly automatically. You set the output of the midi track in your DAW to go to midi device, and the midi device will play the midi track.

And also: do you record it as an external instrument?
What is 'it'? Your keyboard? If so, yes. You record the audio from your keyboard as a separate track.

If so… after editing and cleaning the mistakes, wouldn’t be simple and easy to convert the midi to “wav” (or even other file extension) than to record it all over again?

Any conversion requires the midi to be played through something that will create an audio signal. This can be either back through your keyboard or through a VST. Midi is just a set of instructions tell a device which note to play, when and for how long, like a piano roll on a pianola.

Well... I really need to learn a lot about this stuff!!!
Nevertheless, I guess I'll go for the YAMAHA PSR-E223.
By Monday I should be ready to share some results with you guys.

Again, thanks for all the help and opinions

Oh no!!! :facepalm:

It's already done.

Nevertheless, it was at a great price... and I was stuck with this model (cause the center shop only have this one!).
It appears to be a very cool keyboard.

Nevertheless, thanks "chuckduffy".

Edit: I'm sure the touch sensitive keys would be a precious add to my playing, but I could not afford the other model, and like I said, the music shop (that accept the phased payments) only had this model.
I have not had much chance to try the keyboard, cause I have a problem in the left hand muscle (nothing serious, but I have to be kind of immobilized for about 2 weeks – What are the odds?!?!).
However, from what I tried, this keyboard is really good, and comes with really good and real sounds (the Grand Piano sounds awesome) and it got’s a wonderful collection of strings (wich I use a lot in my songs).
Note: Have not yet tried the keyboard as midi controller, because I need to buy the adapter cable. But will I need it?! Given the quality of the sounds embedded in the keyboard, I start to think that it will not be necessary to work with VST's (not counting the Drums: Hail EzDrummer and Hydrogen).

Last edited:
You should always take your time and do your homework before buying something. Take it from myself and countless others who have laid out good money only to be stuck with something that's not ideal, only then to find out that for just a few dollars more we could have bought what we really wanted, if only w'ed have done a bit more homework first.

Most music stores carry the most popular or most cost-effective models but reputable ones can order most any other models within a week or 2 for you.

I would shop elsewhere if they said they couldn't - or on-line. Lot's of on-line places now offer free shipping.

There's ton's of info on-line now, as well as numerous reviews, so there's no reason at all not to end up with the very keyboard that you want.

Almost all keyboards now have MIDI Out ports, [although some are going only with USB now] - but usually one or the other or both.

Regarding the touch sensitive keys: Shame you didn't get that type, because I can't imagine playing anything without that very common feature these days...

BUT...not all may be lost...

Some keyboards & depending on which VSTs you have, some of those have velocity curves that you can choose from.

Not that won't replicate 'touch sensitivity', but it may give somewhat of a more natural feel of what your playing - or playing into at least.

For instance many Piano VSTs offer select-able velocity curves, although again, I'd really strive for a keyboard that has touch sensitivity to get the most out of it.

I have purchased 14 keyboards in my life, with my 14th arriving just 2 weeks ago.

Do yourself a favor, and really do your homework next time.

Also, consider buying from somewhere that gives you 30 days to return it if it's not perfect for your needs, even if it means a small restocking fee.

You'll lose less that way than having to take a loss selling it on ebay or craig's list or something.

Jim

Back