Buy a MIDI Controller or Keyboard w/ MIDI?

donkeykang

I'm trying to figure out which is better for me to get? I originally was going to get a cheap Yamaha keyboard that had MIDI In/Out. I'm currently learning keyboard and figured it couple double as my MIDI controller. Thoughts?

I did that with a cheap yamaha, replaced that with a nice weighted 88 key controller (fatar Sl1100 which i need to sell), then replaced that with a decent controller with sounds built in (Kurtw. PC88).

All in all, i should have skipped the first two steps and saved up. BUT for the $$, i was able to do a lot of playing with the cheaper controllers and software pianos until I found the deal on the PC88. Both the other controllers can be resold, and will work out to be like a fairly cheap 'rental" until I got to where i could afford something more complete.

daav

I had an old Yamaha synth that I used as a controller but I sold it and got an M-Audio Oxygen 8v2. With the old set up I had to connect the keyboard to the adapter, plug the adapter into the way and run two midi cables to the back of my interface. With the controller I just conncet the usb cable to the front usb port on the computer. The power is supplied by the usb.
It's easier, cleaner, and more portable. I even take it and my laptop on vacation and make music while I wait for my wife to wake up.:D

Back