Basic keyboad info needed...

PRiZ

Ok, I'm completely confused about what I need.
What I want to do is just put sounds onto hiphop tracks, like scenematics, or moods into the background to give different atmospheres. To be able to just use nice piano sounds and add the odd touch, preferably sounding good.
I have no idea what type of midi port I need, if I don't get one in my soundcard...will a cheap 59$ one in and one out midi connection work? (ex. Winman1x1) is this what a midi interface is...?
What I'm thinking of getting through reading posts is a JV-1010 or JV-1080 for value, I'm not even sure what these do, doesn't my computer generate sounds for a keyboard...?
I was thinking a 120$ keyboard controller...What is a keyboard controller, is that the actual devise with the keys etc, looks like a piano sorta...?
Sorry for the dumb questions...
Why are some soundcards so expensive, is this because they can't be hooked to a computer so they have to do more work on their own or what? Do I need a setup this expensive to do what I want...?

Thanks!

PRiZ said:
Ok, I'm completely confused about what I need.
I was thinking a 120$ keyboard controller...What is a keyboard controller, is that the actual devise with the keys etc, looks like a piano sorta...?

Here, if you want a cheap MIDI controller that works, get this:

http://www.zzounds.com/a--2676837/love.music?p=p.THKEVE1491&z=1088802082537

This is the most popular MIDI controller in the world. It's sold everywhere under a dozen names, at least. There were so many of them produced and sold that the street price is way less than half of what it used to be when it was introduced ($249).

This is the best deal I have found anywhere on this unit under any name, $110 delivered.

thanks!

Can you explain what this does for, can I create my own sounds, sample or get a wide selection of sounds or what???
Does my computer/soundcard generate the sounds and the midi keyboard just plays them thorugh the range of keys on the keyboard???? Do I need a sound module or something???

PRiZ said:
Can you explain what this does for, can I create my own sounds, sample or get a wide selection of sounds or what???

I'm certainly no expert and have many of the same questions.

Taking this to the MIDI forum would be the obvious smart move. What I do know is that you'll need a MIDI controller to do any kind of MIDI conveniently and this is the brother deal on the optimum low-end rig that zillions of home-recording hobbyists use to their satisfaction all over the world.

I know that MIDI controllers apparently control, or can, other functions beyond standard wavetable MIDI stuff, but I am not sure if they will work as keyboards for the synthesizer modules that come in most big sound/recording packages or perform other functions. I assume so, but I don't know - or if so, which or how.

This is basic stuff - I just haven't any experience with it yet.

The above controller, however, is the only piece of equipment I'm sure I'm going to be buying. Everything else - and I do mean everything - is still up in the air. I've been trying to get my studio together for over three months and have bought virtually nothing because of the conflicting advice I've received here about EVERY piece of hardware in the entire project.

GREAT!!!

I'm glad to know there's others out there like me. I'm going on my third month I think, I can't even remember it's been so long.
I've bought a computer and already feel like an idiot because I took the first info I got on what I needed, and then realized it was just the most basic speed/ram etc related needs, not intel or athlon etc and all that junk. Hopefully I don't have a peice of junk when it comes to audio production... my first stupid move. My next will be taking three or I don't wanna think how long to buy the stupid soundcard I need, and I know it'll be the same one I was gonna buy two months ago but wasn't sure enuff. Then having to look back at the almost mayby most unproductive days of my life...geeeez!! Once I hear my beats, mayby everything will be okay and my sanity will return to normal, mayby I'll sleep and not spend everynight till dawn on this computer hungry with blood shot eyes...anyways, Hope you find your setup quickly ;)

Back