All around keyboard....

Stevebol

I'm looking for a good all around synth with with a sequencer.I'm from the old days when I used to have a drum machine,Juno-106,Ensoniq SQ-1(I think) and a Fostex 8 track reel to reel.I got out of recording for about 12 years and during that time I learned to use a computer,Fl Studio,software synths and that type of thing.So I would like to assemble my music on a workstation then got to cassette 4 track(late 90's Tascam 464)and add vocals/guitars,maybe.The stuff I do has an 80's sound sort of,Cure-Eurythmics so I don't need that many tracks.What I'm trying to say is I don't like DAWs or digital recording.Any suggestions?

thanks for posting this link David, it led me to the TR76...I have been looking for a new 76 key keyboard...couldn't find a weight on the TR's, do you know how heavy these are? Good price point. I was also curious about the woodwinds, specifically Sax sounds.

At present I use a Ensoniq ZR76, and its real heavy

thanks for posting this link David, it led me to the TR76...I have been looking for a new 76 key keyboard...couldn't find a weight on the TR's, do you know how heavy these are? Good price point. I was also curious about the woodwinds, specifically Sax sounds.
My understanding is that the TR76 is basically a Triton. Truth be told I wasn't blown away with the Triton Extreme's woodwinds - I still use my JV1010 for some of those. The TR76 claims to have a bunch of new sounds over the original Tritons though, so I don't know, they may have improved them.

By the way:
76-Key: 20.28 lbs / 9.2 kg

I'm looking for a good all around synth with with a sequencer.I'm from the old days when I used to have a drum machine,Juno-106,Ensoniq SQ-1(I think) and a Fostex 8 track reel to reel.I got out of recording for about 12 years and during that time I learned to use a computer,Fl Studio,software synths and that type of thing.So I would like to assemble my music on a workstation then got to cassette 4 track(late 90's Tascam 464)and add vocals/guitars,maybe.The stuff I do has an 80's sound sort of,Cure-Eurythmics so I don't need that many tracks.What I'm trying to say is I don't like DAWs or digital recording.Any suggestions?

Heh, your old setup sounds almost identical to mine circa the late 80s early 90s. Since you are doing an 80s kind of sound it might not be a bad idea to look around for an older workstation synth on the used market. Something like a Yamaha TG77 or a Korg Wavestation will give you plenty of those classic sounds and a half decent hardware sequencer. Just watch those old disk drives on those machines.
OTOH if money isn't a problem have a look at the new workstations that are coming out. Units like the Motif XS series and the Korg M series take the old synth workstation further with advanced stuff like sampling sequencers and FX plugins similar to computer DAWs. I find the sounds on most these new workstations less than inspiring for anything other than mainstream top 40 stuff but most of them sample so you can just build your own sound library to work with your genre.

These days I use the computer mainly as a scratch pad while creating a song. Once the track is fleshed out I send the Midi sequence to my Akai sampler and run all my hardware synths off of that. Getting back to doing things the old way has been very enlightening for me.

thanks for posting this link David, it led me to the TR76...I have been looking for a new 76 key keyboard...couldn't find a weight on the TR's, do you know how heavy these are?

I dunno. I have the X50, which is the same sounds minus sequencer. Its REALLY light (and probably flimsy). I would hope the TR models are a little sturdier.

I was also curious about the woodwinds, specifically Sax sounds.

Wanna hear em???:D:cool::cool::cool:

Korg Woodwinds

I recorded these off my X50, which I believe is indentical soundwise to the TRs. There is an audition button, I just scrolled through the patches. They are OK, its definitely not the strong point of the synth. Its great for ambient and complex combis, lead synths, strings are decent, persussion very good.

In the $500 range you could also pick up an Alesis Fusion, with the free patches from Hollow Sun this workstation is a great deal.

thanks guys...20lbs thats a real light keyboard, nice...Thank you David for the clips, sounded pretty good, the sax has a reedy sound.

sorry Steve for hijackin the thread some. It took me along time to finally hook a 'puter up in my studio.

The ZR76 I have sounds pretty good, but just weighs in too much...I got to run it through my new KC550 last weekend and it sounded great.

Is the Alesis Fusion really a decent keyboard, I have heard some different things about their sampling or does Hollow Sun address this?

Back