Alesis Micron 37-key or MicroKorg???

PoppedEye

Mike Love Hater
Im looking at both, and trying to outwiegh the pros and cons.
I know the Alesis has more sounds, but the MicroKorg seems to be built better and it has the vocal recording capabilities.
Which would be better suited for using in electronic/trance music?
And which is better for midi controlling functions?
Oh, and is it possible to make your own sounds using the Korg? If thats the case then I think my mind's made up...

Both the MicroKorg and the Micron offer the ability to create your own sounds. The Micron features an 8 voice polyphony to the Korgs 4, but the Korg has more waveforms. The micron has a vocoder too, tho the mic doesn't come with it.
As far as which one has better sounds, thats subjective to you playing around with them and deciding for yourself... they're both pretty cool and one isn't really "better" than the other. Personally, I like the MicroKorgs deep basses and its more user friendly (like most Korg products) to play around with. The alesis is pretty cool too tho, and it might have some more unique sounds.

personally, I like the the full size keys on the micron. You can also do sequencing on it. The Korg is a fun little beast though.

I have a Micro Korg and owned the big brother to the Micron.
I personaly like teh sound of the Korg better and I like the way it programs.
The Micro sounds good and has full size keys But I'm not as fond of it as the Micro.

My vote is for the micro.

-Blaze

Well seeing that the Micron is just a stripped down Ion which is one of the better VA'a to come out in the last couple of years, I would go with that. You have way more modulation options, Eight voices with three oscillators per voice, two multimode filters, three envelope generators, two LFOs, sample and hold, and tracking generator, and its 4 part multitimberal, huge efx matrix. Excellent Software programmer

The micro korg is only 4 voice (2 part multi but who cares with 4 voices), one filter, limited modulation. Weak programing interface

They are not really in the same class at all.

the only reason I dont like the Ion was the controlers.
The knobs feel like they are stuck in molasis in january.

I like the micro and love the MS-2000B for its imediate feel.

But thats just personal preference.

Try em both and decide for your self, and have fun. No matter what your going to be in VA heaven!

-Blaze

blazingstrings said:
the only reason I dont like the Ion was the controlers.
The knobs feel like they are stuck in molasis in january.
They really do, don't they?!?!? But the Ion/Micron is better overall in my opinion. Yeah the Korgs have good sounds, no question, but unless you'd be willing to move up to a MS2000 your better off with the Micron. And even then I'd take an Ion over the MS2000 (Actually I recently did, and I'm a Diehard Korg fan). Trust me PoppedEye, the Micron will fit the bill for that style of music. I will give it to Korg as having the better vocoder of the 2 (Although you can get good results with the Alesis, but it actually involves dirtying up the signal. I think the Alesis' 40 bands prove to be a little to precision and sterile). Final thought: unless you think you'll need the additional sequencers found on the Micron, save up and go with the Ion (or save up even more and get an MS2000). Try and get your hands on some in a local shop if possible.

Back