ADVICE: keyboard controller/synth/sound module, etc for $3k

Jim S

This is similar but not identical to previous threads: I'm a guitarist/bass player with no MIDI experience using Protools Dig001 including Sample Cell who needs a keyboard/synth for my home studio for all kinds of sounds which seem to be found in many workstations or modules I've tried like the Korg, Roland, and the Emu. Some sounds on these are good but many like guitar and horn sounds are not so great. Recall I do have Digi's Sample Cell which is decent. I compose rock, funk, metal, funk-jazz tunes and record to CD at home.
My budget for this keyboard/soundmodule/rack/synth/sampler tops at $3000 (US)and my priorities in choosing equipment are sound quality and ease of use. Would you recommend:
  • For sound sources do you suggest CD-ROMs (which ain't cheap) or the plug-in expansion cards made for the sample/workstation/synths like Roland or Korg and Emu modules? Are the sounds on these expansion boards as good as sample CD-ROMs?
  • Controller/midimaster keyboard (like Fatar or Roland A90)) and a rack unit like Roland XV-5030 or 5080, Korg Triton?
  • Controller/midimaster keyboard and sound module(s) like Emu Proteus 2000 and better outboard samper such as ESI-2000 or other recommendation?
  • Roland XP-30, 60, 80 or XV-88 or Korg Trinity with it's expandable sound cards? I'm open to other brands but know less about QSR,Yamaha, Oberheim, Emu/ensoniq, etc.
Thanks for any advice.

Not sure if you'll like it,but GC has been blowing out their stock of Kurzweil 2500 keyboard/workstations for $1999 from a list of $6000.Me,I have a modest setup with pieces from Alesis,Korg,and Roland 'cause they each have a few jewels and a few turds.

Since your main axe is not keys, you probably don't care as much about weighted feel, 88 keys, etc. With that assumption in mind - the XP30 has a ton of very good sounds and is very easy to use. It's designed as a performance keyboard, which means it's easy to get around on. For the price it's well worth it. This can serve as your primary keyboard/controller (but it only has 2 outs).

Regarding CD-ROMS vs. sound cards - like every sound source, there are always good and bad sounds. In most cases, the sound cards cost almost as much as the CD-ROMS - and when all is said and done the quality of the sounds are similar. (Although some ot the horn/guitar CD-ROMS are better than the sound cards - in my opinion) Again, ease of use is the key. Once a sound card is in, all you do is call up the sound and you're on your way. With samples, you need to load the sample, etc. etc.

I've gone full circle from having limited sounds (and making do) to several modules and samples (and spending more time looking for sounds than recording the sounds) back to a less is more approach. I may be in the minority, but when I'm in a recording mood I don't want to spend a lot of time trying to get the perfect keyboard sound at the expense of the feel, groove or whatever word you choose. I use my samples less and less and use the sounds on the XP30 more and more for the sake of speed.

Maybe it's like a guitar player that at some point has had 10 pedals in front of him - and eventually gets back to a guitar, an amp and a cord.

Given the kind of music you indicate you record, it seem your priority may be on realistic accustic sounds (good piano, good horns, etc.) vs. ambient sounds. Again the XP-30 ain't bad, with maybe one or two select sound cards (or CD-ROMS). I don't have experiance with Sample Cell. I have used the ESI-2000 (and my trusty Akai S1000) both are very functional - again choose what will make recording the easiest.

Back