Yarrgghhh

Kingofpain678

Returned from the dead
I own two microphones, one tube amp head, and one marshall mg412 Cab. My preamp is an M-Audio audiobuddy and my monitors are alesis M-1 Active 320 Usb monitors. and I'm recording through an E-Mu 1212m PCI Audio interface.

My guitar sound SUCKS.

First of all, I don't know whether it's my amp head or my crappy cab with crappy speakers but my low end is flubby/flabby/loose or whatever other word you can think of. It bothers the hell out of me when i palm mute and it just sounds like crap. Not to mention, the mic I was using to mic up the outer edge of the speaker was making things a million times worse. Check out the frequency response:
mic1.jpg

Great huh? (stupid me for not checking the freq. response :rolleyes:)

It get's better... Here's the freq. response of the mic I was using on the edge of the dust cap (I know it's small but bear with me...) :
mic2w.jpg

Ok, so once I checked out the freq. responses I just switch the mics around which would make sense, yes?

Ok, it got better... A little bit. But I still have that flubby low end, and there's a piercing "twang" coming out of this cheap JC-Penny humbucker guitar... Ugh, the high end is gross :eek:
Ok, so the Shure SM57 (place your argument about why you shouldn't use an SM57 here...) has a frequency response that drops off around 15KHz, so naturally I want to fix that fizzy/twangy/piercing high end so I roll the very high end frequencies off just like everyone's favorite studio mic. It fixes the "hiss" if that's what you wanna call it. Sorta... ... the sound get's a little bit better.
Now for that low end! use a parametric EQ at around 100, 150, or 200KHz and slowly drop it until that nasty flub is gone... -1 dB - not much difference
-3dB - a little better, -6dB - getting there, so on and so forth until I end up at about -15dB :eek::rolleyes:
No good, means that the original sound captured is no where near what you wanted it to be, not to mention I just sucked all of the "chunk" and any other good thing the low end brings in a guitar tone out.
Great, so now I'm left with a guitar tone that's been EQ'd all to hell, sounds like shit (definitely not as bad though) and I STILL don't have the guitar track for my song down...

Where should I start over at now? First, get some 57's, It's gonna be the generally accepted mic to give you an accurate representation of the tone that you have coming out of your speakers.
Second, FIX THE LOW END!! Find out where that flub is coming from...Speakers? Cab? Amp? All of the above? Find it. Fix it.
Upgrade to a better guitar... The JC-Penny crappy-high-end-twang-meister is just making things worse, even a 200$ guitar with a pick-up upgrade is better than your first act guitar.

The lesson to be learned in this seemingly pointless/stupid rant is don't skimp out on your guitar gear unless you're okay with a tone that just won't work. It will save you from being like me over here wasting countless hours pulling my hair out trying different mic positions and eq settings, different strings, and fiddling with your pickup height and various other guitar/amp/post tracking settings.
N00bs be wise, do it right the first time and you'll be happy.

Now, who wants to send me some new gear for free :confused::D:D:spank:
</long-winded, stupid thread>

Where should you start? How about another guitar?
Those frequency curves look 'normal'. I don't think anything below 200Hz or above 15000Hz is important in the overall guitar sound when recording - if you are micing a guitar cabinet the speakers probably are limited the same way.

Do you like the sound from your amp when playing - get your ears up close so that the room's acoustics are not a factor. If the answer is 'yes', then play with the mic positions until you capture the sound correctly. If the answer is 'no', then work on that part of the equation first.

Where should you start? How about another guitar?
Those frequency curves look 'normal'. I don't think anything below 200Hz or above 15000Hz is important in the overall guitar sound when recording - if you are micing a guitar cabinet the speakers probably are limited the same way.

Do you like the sound from your amp when playing - get your ears up close so that the room's acoustics are not a factor. If the answer is 'yes', then play with the mic positions until you capture the sound correctly. If the answer is 'no', then work on that part of the equation first.

I sorta went over all that already.

I suppose another thing I should add is, know your gear.

And experiment with it until you do.

That tone is in there, you just haven't found a way to get it out.

One of your problems may be the Audio Buddy; IME it's not that great a preamp for micing electric guitar, especially if you are using a condenser mic (I couldn't tell from your description) and playing at high volume.

I did get my low end to tighten up using advice in this thread.

So again, to the n00bs - Know your gear!! whether it be the frequency response of your microphones or knowing how your gear works and when some things may or may not be appropriate. Think outside of the box and use what ever you think may work for you to get what it is that you're after.

is that normal? not only have i never done that, i wouldn't know how if i wanted to. i usually just listen to it.

Usually you can check your manual that came with the mic or look it up on the interwebs.

After just randomly throwing my mics up and absolutely hating what I was hearing I figured it couldn't hurt to check the manual...

Usually you can check your manual that came with the mic or look it up on the interwebs.

After just randomly throwing my mics up and absolutely hating what I was hearing I figured it couldn't hurt to check the manual...
But many times the "sound" of a mic and its tested frequency response aren't that closely related.

You may have a point, But it DID help me get the sound I was looking for and there's no way it could hurt... so why not?
Sure, it can't hurt to do some research. It might spur you to try something different that you may not have thought of, and what you try might work for you. Ignorance is never a good thing, IMO. :D

I'm looking hard but I'm not seeing what kind of amp it is and that could certainly be one of your problems.
But simply saying a "tube amp head" doesn't tell us enough for that aspect of things.

Back