Wolfgang anyone?

Top Jimmy

Hey guys, I'm going to replace my Mexican Strat with a better built, better quality guitar. Dont get me wrong I like it alot but I still miss the quailty of a good old American made axe.

So I'm at the music store looking around and this sunburst Wolfgang by Peavey jumps out at me. This is a sharp guitar. So I spend some time in Harmony Central Reading the reviews of the Wolfgang and people just can't seem to say enough good stuff about it.

Any one have one? It's either this or maybe a another Strat. This time Amreican.

Well, I have played them a number of times and I really don't like them, but I think that is personal preference. If you are thiking strat, and want a REAL american made, not assembeld in america from parts made mexico, get a G&L. It is more fender than any current peice with Fender on the headstock.

(I love G&Ls)

MIKE

I wrote a response to your question and it was a little lengthy about how happy I am with my Ernie Ball Music Man and I stopped and said to myself (in most mocking voice) "Well he didn't ask for your opinion on the Ernie Ball Van Halen!" and never posted it! Then I go to see if anyone posted a critique of my newest MP3 and there's a question about my VH! Go figure! So here is my schtick on the VH...

It kicks ass. I have never loved a guitar like I love my Ernie Ball. I recently slapped a "D-Tuna" on it and it works fantastic.

About five years ago I was in the market for a new guitar and I looked at everything, and came to the conclusion that I wanted a Paul Reed Smith. I went to the guitar place to play it one last time and place my order when I saw a red VH sitting there. I played it and the PRS back to back and I liked the VH. I placed an order that day for a purple one. A week later the guy at the store called me and told me that Ed was taking his name of it. I was one of the fortunate people to get one of the last ones made with his name on the headstock (so they told me anyway).

I would gladly buy another one. Of course they've since renamed it the Axis, widened the neck a hair and moved the toggle (which burns me up because I love where it was). Music Man has assured me that's the only changes they've made. I've played it and it's great. I don't know if it's still the same deal, but at the time I had a six month wait while they built it.

I've also played the Wolfgang and I can tell you it's a great guitar too. I like the carved top and angled neck. It's a slightly larger guitar than the Axis and therefore a little heavier...if that's a problem.

If I was buying a guitar today, I'd probably buy an Ernie Ball. I've had nothing but fantastic experiences with their company and five years later I'm as smitten with my "Special-Ed" as I was the day it arrived.

Hope that helps!

I agree with mastahnke, G&L's are great. And you can get used ones dirt cheap since only REAL guitar players know how good they are. As far as getting a good deal, I suggest finding a local guitar show thats coming up and make plans to be there. Find out what the case to the guitar you want looks like and stake out the door. When someone walks in with what your looking for, politely ask them if you could see it and if the necks not damaged, the pickups are working, and the price is right, get it. Another good place to go for G&L's is pawn shops. Most pawn shop owners only know about the real big stuff (les pauls, strats, etc.) and will probably under-price a G&L.

Now as for my suggestion as for what guitar to get, I would get a les paul. They're the BEST (in my opinion) guitar for the money, and like I've said in other posts, they can be had used for about $900 to $1050 at a guitar show. They're great for blues and rock. But go with what you think sounds best and feels right. I've always gone by one golden rule when it comes to buying guitars,**Don't buy anything new** :) GOOD LUCK!

I purchased a Wolfgang two weeks ago and I love it! I think it's a well built guitar and the stock humbuckers sound great.

Well the search has changed, The Wolfgang seems like a great guitar but after spending some time with one today, I really dont care for the neck. Funny, thats what most people like about it. It sounds great though.

So I priced out a G&L S-500. Special order to my liking with color and pickup arrangement. Also a Fender Deluxe Strat with the same features. Both stores told me they need $600 with my trade.

Ok, the G&L is a nice guitar but it doesnt have the noiseless pickups and it probably wont hold its value.

The Fender on the other hand will take a long time to get, I have to change the pickguard and covers to get what I want.

Now what? I'm leaning towards the Fender

Don't be tempted by the dark side. Please.
Check out the G&L S-500 more. Noiseless pickups? That is jargon. What pickup arrangement are you looking for? The stock G&L pickups are the best stock pickups on the market, trust me I have sold hundreds of them. The Fender Deluxe doesn't have the same features. Differences:

G&L has phase reversal switch, the last fender deluxe I played did not
G&L doesn't have tone knobs, instead it has treble and bass rolloff. It's like having a parametric EQ on teh guitar. The fender, 'tone knobs' that don't even effect the bridge pickup. We sell S-500s with stock finish and parts for right around 900 and upgraded finish at 1000$. I got mine fully loaded worth 1600$. The fender equivilent would have been 3200 and still not had the rolloff knobs. I am not sure what you mean about the G&L holding its value, real collectors would rather have a current G&L than a fender, the fenders are all mexican crap even the americans are just assembeled there. The G&Ls are all handmade by machines that Leo made himself. Check out the website. I will put my G&L up against any Fender made since CBS purchased the company. I have done it time and time again, at Woodwind Brasswind, Mars Music, Guitar Center and the store I work at, they always pick my G&L. Even the guys who own fender custom shops.

Just please, don't go to the dark side of the force.
Fear leads to anger; anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering.

MIKE

Hey Mike:

Here is what I want,

Natural finish strat
Two single coils ,one humbucker
Maple neck and fret board
black pick guard and pickups

Sound cool?

Leaning towards G&L again.......

WEll, I am unsure about the humbucker, you might want to get a different G&L model other than the S-500. I don't recall the exact name right now, but of course I am happy you are leaning toward the G&L. If the Fender suites your needs I understand, I guess I didn't realize you needed a bucker.

Still, I would go G&L,

MIKE

Back