Wireless Guitar Systems - Suggestions and Advice, Please

Nice this old topic resurfaced. I've not gone back to the Line 6 - that door flap now requires gaffer to keep it closed and I had it slightly open on the two times I tried it and it died, so it's gone, and I've gone back to cable. The Sennheisers are fine, but here channel 38 is now very full and if you run more than a few channels, it takes time to get a working system in some locations, and that's enough for us to reduce reliance on radio.

There is no way that a charged wireless system should only last 1 hour, sounds like the internal battery is shot.

There is no way that a charged wireless system should only last 1 hour, sounds like the internal battery is shot.

I was estimating that, so as I said above, I will do a test today to see how long I am getting.

But the Boss WL-20 does have a reputation of short battery life, which I knew coming into this.

---------- Update ----------

Nice this old topic resurfaced. I've not gone back to the Line 6 - that door flap now requires gaffer to keep it closed and I had it slightly open on the two times I tried it and it died, so it's gone, and I've gone back to cable. The Sennheisers are fine, but here channel 38 is now very full and if you run more than a few channels, it takes time to get a working system in some locations, and that's enough for us to reduce reliance on radio.

I hope that another, workable alternative is available soon so that you can use it.

Oddly - I'm going the other way. I use wireless IEMs (Sennheiser) for the band with our Behringer P16s. As I have a cable on the bass, I'm thinking about running another cable and using a Behringer belt pack amp for the headphones. If I'm cabled for the bass, I may as well be cabled for the IEMs. The Sennheiser are fine, but for our sort of shows, its added hassle I can do without.

We run a theatre in the summer - providing sound and lights - and will carry on using Sennheiser headsets and handhelds alongside the Line 6 Handhelds which have proven themselves bomb proof. The location of the venue means we can use plenty of wireless systems with no issues at all, but with the band - 3 IEMs (the drummer has always been cabled) and two guitars means that finding clear and compatible channels within the manufacturers suggested ones gets complicated in the kinds of venues we visit in bigger cities. It's made worse by having two packs on the belt. One working channel 38 and the other the free bit of ch 70. We also use iPads to run our tracks, and the sound guy also uses one for his sound - so our own wifi usage gets messed up by the Line 6.

UPDATE

As promised, I did a test today on the length of time that the WL-20 pair lasts on one charge, and I am happy to report that I was very, very wrong.

I played for about an hour or so, then left the guitar on a stand, with the transmitter unit in it, and also left the amp with the receiver part of the unit in there.

Every so often I would pick up the guitar for ten minutes or so, and I got about 7 hours out of the units before I plugged them in to charge again (and the transmitter was fine when I did that - i.e., it still had a lot of charge; the lights on the receiver, though, were telling me that it needed to be charged, but it was still happily receiving signal when I pulled the plug).

When I wrongly reported previously that the unit was only holding enough charge for an hour's playing, I think that I might have been going on a mixture of two things: first, was others' reports, and second was the fact that I was using the unit wrongly for the first few weeks I had it.

I was not plugging one of the unit's jack plugs into the other in order to activate them/pair them for 'action'. That process usually takes about 14 seconds, but if you do not do it, you get all kinds of pops and crackles, and that is why I thought that the unit needed to be recharged after a relatively short period of use during those first few weeks I had it..

Now, while this is good news, I do occasionally hear pops when the units are fully charged.

Apologies for any confusion I may have caused about this unit.

Oddly - I'm going the other way. I use wireless IEMs (Sennheiser) for the band with our Behringer P16s. As I have a cable on the bass, I'm thinking about running another cable and using a Behringer belt pack amp for the headphones. If I'm cabled for the bass, I may as well be cabled for the IEMs. The Sennheiser are fine, but for our sort of shows, its added hassle I can do without.

We run a theatre in the summer - providing sound and lights - and will carry on using Sennheiser headsets and handhelds alongside the Line 6 Handhelds which have proven themselves bomb proof. The location of the venue means we can use plenty of wireless systems with no issues at all, but with the band - 3 IEMs (the drummer has always been cabled) and two guitars means that finding clear and compatible channels within the manufacturers suggested ones gets complicated in the kinds of venues we visit in bigger cities. It's made worse by having two packs on the belt. One working channel 38 and the other the free bit of ch 70. We also use iPads to run our tracks, and the sound guy also uses one for his sound - so our own wifi usage gets messed up by the Line 6.

It is amazing how people's needs can be so different, often based on the limitations of technology (in your case, the overcrowded bandwidth/wavelength for the IEM's when you are with the band).

I always thought that the advantage of having an IEM would be freeing one up from having to use a cable.

Take care.

Back