Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Wireless Guitar Systems - Suggestions and Advice, Please

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Look up the one used by Angus Young. He must be doing something right.

Thanks
    Voodoo Guitar: Angus Young's Secret Wireless Weapon

Though I think what he was using is now illegal to use in US. Don't know for sure but I think there are only certain frequencies allowed these days, and they are expensive to get good quality. Shop...
    PC Win7-64-24G i7-4790k/Cubase 10 Pro 64-bit/2-Steinberg UR824's/ADAM A7x/Event TR8/SS Trigger Plat Deluxe/Melodyne 4 Studio/Other things that don't mean anything if a client shows up not knowing what it wants.

Thanks
    Hi Meclazine, and jimmys69,
    Thanks for your suggestion, but as I said above, I went with the Boss WL-20 which should be here any day now.

Will post a 'review' when I get it.
    www.CollaborativeTherapy.com
    "If the The Beatles or the '60s had a message it was 'Learn to Swim'. And once you've learned - Swim".
    John Lennon

Thanks
    Looking forward to hearing thoughts on the Boss WL-20. I've got one of the cheap Line 6 G10 transmitters with docking base and I loved it when I first got it because there are two outputs and no signal difference from a cable... but later on I have experienced drops in my signal. It cuts out for a second here and there and I believe it is interference with WiFi Router or Phones/Computers and it's a deal breaker. I'll only use it for playing Rocksmith or something now when originally I was using it for easy recording setups.

Thanks
    I use the Shure GLDX16 and I am really happy with it. Not sure if would fit in to the price range you are looking at. It has a rechargeable battery that is good for about 16 hours use time. The base unit also has a built in tuner which is nice. It is also all metal construction so feels built to last.

Thanks

UPDATE - Boss WL-20 Wireless Guitar System

Apologies for having taken so long to post here with an update.

I hope this is useful for anyone considering buying the Boss WL-20.

My experience has been the following:

PROS
    1. Nice to be cordless
    2. Relatively good sound - I notice a little compression using these, but I have to listen carefully when I A/B with a cable, so this is unoticeable to me when I am playing
    3. I *think* I can hear a slight latency if I really try to hear it, but I may be fooling myself about this because I forget about this when I am playing and it does not bother me
    4. Having to 'pair' the transmitting jack plug with the receiving jack plug each time before playing is not the hassle I thought it might be. One just plugs one of the units into another, and waits approximately 15 - 20 seconds for the flashing light to stop; you then uncouple the units and plug one into your guitar or bass, and the other into your amp (or, I suppose you could plug it into an Audio Interface or stand-alone digital recorder of some sort).

CONS
    1. As everyone says, the charge that the WL-20's hold is much too short (I would say about an hour at the most)
    2. Re-charging the WL-20s takes a long time - 3 hours for me
    3. Even after I have re-paired the WL-20 jack plug units with each other, which you have to do before each use, I *sometimes* hear audio artifacts. Now this may be due to the lack of proper shielding on the guitars in question
    4. I have found that - despite Boss's claims to the contrary - the units work best when in line of sight of each other; even sitting on the floor a couple of feet from my amp will cause occasional interruptions in signal if my body is perpendicular to the amp, with the body of the guitar (and so, the 'transmitter' which is plugged in) blocking a clear line of sight to my amp.

SUMMARY
    I really like the WL-20 system, but the brevity of the charge, long time the transmitter and receiver take to re-charge, and the line of sight issue I described make me think that this unit is suitable for home and rehearsal use, and not for gigging.

Given the expense of the unit, I am disappointed with the drawbacks, but still find the unit fun to use.

Overall, I would recommend the WL-20 system for home and rehearsal use, but not for gigging.
    "If the The Beatles or the '60s had a message it was 'Learn to Swim'. And once you've learned - Swim".
    John Lennon

7. The Following User Says Thank You to gvdv For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    1 hour? Ouch, I think the Line 6 G10/G10S is like 8 hours of run time... I've since upgraded my base unit of the G10 to the G10S which is much, much more sturdy and can even be placed on your pedal board and powered with a normal 9v like any other guitar pedal. It also allows for manual channel selection if for some reason the auto channels aren't working correctly... it's much better than the original. I still experience issues when running it near a WiFi Router though... but that's an issue with all wireless systems, they all run on the same damn frequencies! :\

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gvdv View Post
    Apologies for having taken so long to post here with an update.

I hope this is useful for anyone considering buying the Boss WL-20...
    Thanks for the update. Yeah, 1 hour wouldn't work for a gig. I would want to plug it in at the beginning of the night and not have to think about it until it's time to break down at the end.

However, I'm still playing small bars with small stages and no room to move, so the cable works just fine.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chili View Post
    Thanks for the update. Yeah, 1 hour wouldn't work for a gig. I would want to plug it in at the beginning of the night and not have to think about it until it's time to break down at the end.

However, I'm still playing small bars with small stages and no room to move, so the cable works just fine.
    I have to say, though, that it is so much fun not being 'tethered' to the amp with a physical cable.
    John Lennon

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ujn Hunter View Post
    1 hour? Ouch, I think the Line 6 G10/G10S is like 8 hours of run time... I've since upgraded my base unit of the G10 to the G10S which is much, much more sturdy and can even be placed on your pedal board and powered with a normal 9v like any other guitar pedal. It also allows for manual channel selection if for some reason the auto channels aren't working correctly... it's much better than the original. I still experience issues when running it near a WiFi Router though... but that's an issue with all wireless systems, they all run on the same damn frequencies! :\
    Yes, the short 'connection' time is not good.

Maybe I will do a more exact time measurement tomorrow, and post the update of that.
    John Lennon

Thread Information