Will a Fender Tele neck fit onto a Squeir Tele body?

post.aux.fader

I's thinking of buying me a good ol' tele by squier. Boo and hiss me all you want, I'm just curious if I can pimp it with a nice fender tele neck. Its the Affinity model if that makes any difference.

Thanks for your input.

Maybe, probably not, though, with out some woodworking. If you plan on buying a Fender neck, it will probably be cheaper to save your money and just buy a nicer tele to start with.

dragonworks said:
I don't see why not, the neck pocket is the same I think?

That's why I said maybe. I know for solid fact that for a long time Fender made them all different, US, Mexican, and Asian, to keep people from doing exactly what postaux wants to do. There was lots of fraud going on. They even stopped selling US necks for awhile, they would only replace them, and only if you sent your old one in. Pissed off more than a few vintage owners who wanted to save their vintage necks, and eventually they started selling them again.

dragonworks said:
if not, make it fit

:D

Yup. Not that hard. They made the Asian and Mexican pockets (and necks) a little narrower so all you gotta do is shave the pocket a bit. Seemed silly to me to go through all that effort to make them different, but in a way that still lets you fit an American neck on them. :confused:

I would think it would fit. Go to www.telemodders.com and I'm sure someone on their forums will be able to tell you, plus they have lots of other ideas for mods. Another option is to have one made, I just recieved mine today for my tele project from USA Custom Guitars...a real beauty...maple neck with ebony fretboard and pau shell inlays!

check out www.warmoth.com they sell genuine Fender replacement necks. You may be able to find a neck that will fit your body so you wouldn't have to attempt any wood working if your weren't comfortable with it. However, I would say almost positively that you should be able to get your neck to fit with a little knowledge about woodworking and the desire to do it right. I managed to fit a stratacoustic neck onto a mexican strat body with just a little filling, drilling, and shimming and the action is great. That has convinced me that just about anything is possible.

Ryan.

I think the Squire Affinity bodies are thinner than standards... I have a friend that has the Squire Affinity Butterscotch model that looks like a 52RI and the body is 1/4" or more thinner than a standard squire or MIM. That may have an effect on the neck sitting in there correctly.

Fenderville said:
I think the Squire Affinity bodies are thinner than standards... I have a friend that has the Squire Affinity Butterscotch model that looks like a 52RI and the body is 1/4" or more thinner than a standard squire or MIM. That may have an effect on the neck sitting in there correctly.
as long as the depth of the neck pocket is the same the thickness of the body will not matter.
You are looking at the relationship between the top of the guitar body and the floor of the neck pocket. The dimension from the floor of the neck pocket to the back of the body is irrelevant.

Get you that Squier Tele, man. I had an '82 Japanese Squier Tele. Sold it, and have begged the guy that bought it to sell it back for the last year. It feels good, sounds okay, and is lots of fun to play.

-jimbo

Back