Which strat string spacing?

• Wide vintage spacing

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Narrow modern spacing

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

jimistone

long standing member
Do you guys like the modern narrow fender strat string spacing or the vintage wide string spacing?

I really haven't played a narrow set since I sold the LP several years back, so I can't make a current comparison. But.. my Classic 50s MIM Strat has 57.15 mm (2 1/4) at the bridge screws so I guess it's in the vintage area. This suits me perfectly. I've got skinny fingers and they fit this spread just right. As I recall, the LP was a bit cramped in spots.

Years ago my fingers were always confused because I kept switching from LP to P-bass to Hofner bass to P-bass to Jazz bass to P-bass..

Callaham Vintage Guitars and Parts (Strat Bridge Compatibility)

Last edited:
I don't know much about string spacing differences between guitars, but my guitar player has G&L ASAT and that neck is extremely narrow. It's really difficult to play because it just disappears in my hand. I'm hitting the A string when I'm aiming for the D. I don't like it.

I've got my chinese knock-off Strat and Tele and I like the widths of the neck on those just fine.

I can tell you a little about string spacing on basses. I had an Ibanez SR505 with 16.5mm spacing and while it worked well for speed, it took some control when I wanted too dig in aggressively yet not hit the other strings. and of course, I ain't that good to pull that off. The P-Bass is no problem.

Since I have small hands and short fingers I find the narrow spacing and shorter scale length on any guitar to be easier for me. The LP scale and spacing is my favorite.

I have a strat body coming for a partscaster build. I know I like the wider spacing on my '66 strat and I'.m leaning that way on the build, but also thinking about going modern with the 2 point bridge that has narrow spacing.
Decisions decisions
:)

Here is the body. Solid alder...no veneer....3 color sunburst...shielded control cavity...it is just beautiful!
It has a polyester finish but it is thin and absolutely flawless.

Attachments

• rps20210113_182846.jpg
    rps20210113_182846.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 9
  • rps20210113_182903.jpg
    rps20210113_182903.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 5
  • rps20210113_182957.jpg
    rps20210113_182957.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 8
  • rps20210113_182942.jpg
    rps20210113_182942.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 6
I don't even know what the spacing is on my guitars.

I have one of the Vintage54 strats, The radius is 7 1/2 inches, but I dont know about the spacing. I know it doesn't give me a problem playing. I have an ASAT Special and an old G&L Legacy. Flatter radius, but I don't think they are much different from the strat.

The biggest change is when I pick up my Taylor 310ce. Its got a really wide fretboard which is fine for fingerpicking, but not as comfortable or easy to do things like barre chords.

I seem to adjust to things like spacing and radius but I really hate the necks on PRS guitars. Something about the back shape doesn't fit well for me. Its especially bad on the SE models.

I don't even know what the spacing is on my guitars.

I have one of the Vintage54 strats, The radius is 7 1/2 inches, but I dont know about the spacing. I know it doesn't give me a problem playing. I have an ASAT Special and an old G&L Legacy. Flatter radius, but I don't think they are much different from the strat.

The biggest change is when I pick up my Taylor 310ce. Its got a really wide fretboard which is fine for fingerpicking, but not as comfortable or easy to do things like barre chords.

I seem to adjust to things like spacing and radius but I really hate the necks on PRS guitars. Something about the back shape doesn't fit well for me. Its especially bad on the SE models.

Vimtage54 has the wide spacing

Back