Why won't my Les Paul stay in tune?

The "luthier" recommended grovers because he diagnosed that the tuners were your problem?
Even cheap assed tuners rarely slip. I would demand he replace the old tuners and refund my money.
He is obviously not very knowledgeable...

I agree with jimistone: go back to this 'luthier' of yours and demand a refund, otherwise he has just robbed you.

Machine heads are almost never the cause of tuning stability. Unless the things are totally worn out (I have never managed to do that on a guitar in 50 years of playing, and many hundreds of string changes), the post is impossible to turn from string tension, thus losing pitch.

I agree with jimistone: go back to this 'luthier' of yours and demand a refund, otherwise he has just robbed you.

Machine heads are almost never the cause of tuning stability. Unless the things are totally worn out (I have never managed to do that on a guitar in 50 years of playing, and many hundreds of string changes), the post is impossible to turn from string tension, thus losing pitch.

On this topic, there are plenty of guitars, both Fender and Gibson with the original tuners. Still fine.

One tip; always tune up to the desired pitch, never down. There can be a bit of slop between the worm gear and the shaft gear. Tuning up to your desired pitch locks the two together.
If you note is sharp, tune it flatter than needed, then bring it up to the correct pitch.

As to the luthier, I wouldn't be so harsh and condemn him. He didn't rob anyone. He did provide a service along with parts. I just hate seeing these internet slam fests.

:D

By the same token, if your car won't run because the ignition coil is bad ($100 repair), and the mechanic puts in a new engine ($3000 repair) and you car still dosen't run because of the bad coil misdiagnosis by the "mechanic"...

He provided a service along with the parts!
(that you didn't need).
Were you robbed?
I, along with most judges, would say so.

On this topic, there are plenty of guitars, both Fender and Gibson with the original tuners. Still fine.

One tip; always tune up to the desired pitch, never down. There can be a bit of slop between the worm gear and the shaft gear. Tuning up to your desired pitch locks the two together.
If you note is sharp, tune it flatter than needed, then bring it up to the correct pitch...

Then there is that guitar which has at least one, maybe two strings which go bonkers as soon as they get to the correct pitch. As soon as you get right on the note something makes the note jump way flat or way sharp, but not on pitch. It's like trying to push two like poles of a magnet together. Tuning down, then up to it again... same thing. Just will not settle in tune. If it's a new set of strings, sometimes I will tune them all way sharp and let it sit for a couple days, then re-tune - sometimes that will alleviate the problem.

By the same token, if your car won't run because the ignition coil is bad ($100 repair), and the mechanic puts in a new engine ($3000 repair) and you car still dosen't run because of the bad coil misdiagnosis by the "mechanic"...

He provided a service along with the parts!
(that you didn't need).
Were you robbed?
I, along with most judges, would say so.

Grovers are good tuners. To equate installing a set of good tuners on a a guitar as being s a robber is a bit of a stretch, but I see your point. :)
Maybe he was, maybe he wasn't. Thing to do is to talk to him, not start an internet lynch mob.
People that know nothing of the situation are so fucking quick to rush to judgment and rile people up.

Grovers are good tuners. To equate installing a set of good tuners on a a guitar as being s a robber is a bit of a stretch, but I see your point. :)
Maybe he was, maybe he wasn't. Thing to do is to talk to him, not start an internet lynch mob.
People that know nothing of the situation are so fucking quick to rush to judgment and rile people up.
He said the dude said it needed new tuners, installed grovers, and it still won't stay in tune.

I have never seen a Les Paul standard or studio that the headstock tuning holes didn't need to be reamed to fit the grovers. (my personal experiance)
So, he possibly has had the tuner holes altered, on a high dollar guitar, and a high priced set of tuners installed...and the dude gives him his les paul back and it STILL dosen't stay in tune?
Did the guy not check the tuning stability after he worked on it?
That, IMO, is outrageous.
If I was the "luthier", at Sam Ash, I would have worked on the nut If it didn't stay in tune after the grover installation.
The nut work would have been on me too....he would not have to pay for my lack of experience and misdiagnosis.
I'm not trying to rile him up, I'm just telling him he should go back and tell them to put the Gibson tuners back on because it still won't stay in tune.
I told him to find a manager because I doubt the "luthier" even checked it before he sent it out to the customer.
Also, I would be asking the manager if the tuner holes in the headstock were altered.
If the holes were altered the stock tuners may not work anymore. Even If they did still fit there may be visible screw holes the original tuners won't cover.

one would hope the dude fitted the LP with grovers that were an exact match for the originals. But, one has to wonder what a guy who blames lack of tuning stability on Gibson tuners actually did on the replacement
It can't easily be returned to original condition
If they are going to have a Sam Ash employee representing himself as a luthier they should stand behind the work...and damage....he does.

Damn! You're all riled up. :D
I agree that new tuners aren't the first approach to tackling tuning issues.

However, there's two options.

A) Keep the Grovers and adress the real underlying cause.
B) Install the original tuners and adress the underlying causes
In this case, a set of conversion bushings might be needed. But the good part is Grovers don't require drilling new holes.
In the case of vintage. Style klusons conversion bushings are needed.
In the case of the 'kluson' look a likes that screw and bolt on, there's no enlarging of the holes required.

Oh.....option C
Tar and feather the dude, then lynch him!

Moral of the story is know before you go.
Don't take your guitars to inexperienced repairmen. And NEVER let the 'tech' at a big chain music store touch your guitar.

Damn! You're all riled up. :D
I agree that new tuners aren't the first approach to tackling tuning issues.

However, there's two options.

A) Keep the Grovers and adress the real underlying cause.
B) Install the original tuners and adress the underlying causes
In this case, a set of conversion bushings might be needed. But the good part is Grovers don't require drilling new holes.
In the case of vintage. Style klusons conversion bushings are needed.
In the case of the 'kluson' look a likes that screw and bolt on, there's no enlarging of the holes required.

Oh.....option C
Tar and feather the dude, then lynch him!

Moral of the story is know before you go.
Don't take your guitars to inexperienced repairmen. And NEVER let the 'tech' at a big chain music store touch your guitar.

I agree that you shouldn't take your guitar to the big chain stores and let them work on it.

I find it telling that the OP has not returned or responded to any of this.

None of us really know what or how much his tuning problem really is or how he's playing it or whatever.
Not to mention...he said he had a couple of problems before with the same Sam Ash tech...so then, why go back a third time, and then post once here to complain? :D

I'm just saying there could be more to the picture, so no need for everyone here to jump to all kinds of extreme conclusions. :)

Back